4.2 Cain and Abel

Eventually, I paused to check my watch. Too much time had passed.

Having no idea what I would find at the end of the tunnel, I was getting anxious. The best I could hope for was finding Opal alive, if we found her at all. 

Soon, the tunnel began to narrow and steepen. I tried not to think about the tightening in my chest, or finding Dark Dorian at the end. We had come this far. If Opal was here, we couldn't leave her behind.

Up ahead, the tunnel's mouth brightened; strange shadows flickered on the walls. My steps slowed; I flattened myself against the side of the cave, creeping slowly along. The tunnel opened, onto a ledge at the edge of a pit some five feet down. The strange shadows came from the dregs of a campfire burning itself out at the bottom. Slumped near the dying embers, a figure lay, unresponsive.

"Opal?"

The figure stirred.

I tossed my backpack and jumped into the pit. Encumbered by the heavy winter gear, I landed heavily on my hands and knees, wincing as I struggled to my feet.

"Opal, are you okay?"

She raised into a sitting position, gagged, feet and hands bound. She was dirty; her hair was matted and blood had crusted at the corner of her forehead - but she was alive.

"Just hold on." Digging through my pack, I removed a hunting knife and knelt, using it to cut her binds.

Opal rolled her neck, rubbing circulation back into her wrists. "You came for me."

"I almost didn't. This only happened because you burned the painting."

"I swear I wish hadn't." Head bowed, her dark hair swung in her face like a curtain. "I didn't  know this would happen."

"What did happen?"

"Dorian." Opal shivered, and I knew it wasn't from the lack of heat. "He came from the painting, an evil black cloud. He attacked. The next thing I remember is snow, feeling frozen as he dragged me through this winter wasteland. He forced me into this cave, built a fire, and then left me to die."

"Why? You released him, he should've been grateful."

"And he was." Opal's jaw tightened. "But he said he needed to distract you."

"A distraction?" My heart beat triple time. "For what?"

"I have a feeling you'll find out soon." Opal rubbed her arms in a frenzy. Her sweater was too thin. Already, her chapped lips were turning blue. "We can't stay here. The fire's nearly out; we'll freeze. I already am."

Rolling my eyes, but knowing she needed the warmth to survive, I removed my jacket and draped it over her shoulders. "We just need to sit tight. The cavalry's coming."

"And why is that? After all I've done, why risk your pretty neck for me?"

"I know. Doesn't make sense does it?"

Opal snorted, grinning. "Je vous remercie. If you hadn't come... Truly, Amelia, I thank you."

"Don't mention it. But do keep it in mind."

She winked.

"Amelia?" Dorian looked down from the ledge. "Are you alright?"

Opal scrambled backwards, hyperventilating, pressed against the cave-wall in fright. 

"Relax." I touched her arm. "He's not the one who did this to you."

"He wears the devil's face!"

"The devil wears mine." Dorian dropped into the pit, landing squarely on his feet. "Where is he, Opal?"