CHAPTER 2: HIS GIFT

Hajin is walking silently along the populated urban streets of Seoul. She peered on the card she held.

DAINTY APARTMENTS

433 Sejongno St.

766-4567

She was looking for a new place to stay knowing that her past apartment holds too many unpleasant memories. A new start in life is what she wants. As she peers into the shops surrounding the district, her eyes caught an antique shop.

 As she peers into the shops surrounding the district, her eyes caught an antique shop

It was a small and dull antique shop yet it feels like home. She had never seen such objects in a long time. The last time she saw them was when she was in Goryeo, She enters the shop and found an elderly woman reading a newspaper inside. Her ash-colored curly hair is tucked on the sides with her big round spectacles. Her eyes on the other hand, overflowed with kindness.

Hajin bows in respect as she caught sight of the woman. She examines the shop and all the objects inside. There were paintings, instruments, and pottery which looked like they were made more than a thousand years ago. She also examined the bowls which looked like the bowls she used in making makeup for the Prince So which made her smile.

As she surveys the shelves, her eyes caught a hairpin wrapped in a pink silk and tucked in a red velvet box.

"That hairpin was brought to me years ago by a man who claimed it was from the Goryeo era. It was beautiful and thought that it might belong to a woman as beautiful as the flowers which attach it," the shopkeeper smiled at Hajin. Hajin was so entranced by the sight of the hairpin that tears threatened to escape her eyes. That hairpin was Wang So's gift to her and it belonged to her.

"Little girl, I believe that that hairpin suits you. Would you like to try it on?" the kind shopkeeper asks. "Oh, I couldn't," Hajin declined in respect. "I insist." The woman took the hairpin from the shelf and carefully put it on Hajin. They both looked at the mirror to see how it looks. "It suits you perfectly," the shopkeeper admiringly smiles at her. "But I don't have the money to purchase it," Hajin confesses shyly. She is only a saleswoman. "Consider it as a gift from me, dear." the shopkeeper puts the hairpin back inside the velvet box and hands it over to Hajin. "I saw something in you from the minute you walked in. It felt right to give you this hairpin."

"Thank you! Thank you so much!," she hugs the shopkeeper. The shopkeeper laughs heartily in return. "Just take good care of it and always remember, true love transcends time and space." the shopkeeper held her hand and she nods as something tugged inside her heart.

"I will come visit you next time Ahjumma. Thank you!" she waves to the kind woman before leaving. Hajin is elated to have her hairpin again. She closes her eyes and longs for her beloved prince.

"You will always be a part of me. My Wang So."