chapter 4

I stood in a beautiful field of flowers with the sun shining down on it. I looked across the field and saw Edward standing under a shady tree, out of direct sunlight. I called his name and started running towards him. He smiled, his teeth shining as he did so, and he opened his arms so he could embrace me. I threw myself against him, wrapping my arms around his neck as his strong arms wrapped around my back. After hugging him for what seemed to be a while, I pulled away and said, "I love you." Edward said nothing. Instead, he grabbed my face and started to kiss me. The kiss was rough and aggressive, but I tried to keep up with his pace. His lips were cold and hard against my soft, warm lips. 

I was lost in the kiss until he pulled away, staring into my eyes. I felt fear overcome me because his eyes were not his normal golden irises, instead they were a deep shade of red, almost black. He had a look of hunger and urgency on his face, causing me to no longer feel safe in his arms. Then I felt blood trickle down my lip and I brought to of my fingers up to it, feeling the wetness of my blood and smelling the metallic scent of it, causing my stomach to turn. I noticed that Edward also had blood on his mouth, but it wasn't from him. 

  Fear struck my face as I felt Edward's cold hands gripping my shoulders right before he grabbed my head, turned it to the side and bit my neck. I screamed out in pain as I felt him sucking every drop of blood from my helpless body. 

  I woke up in a cold sweat, breathing heavily. I checked my neck and mouth for blood, but there was nothing there. I sighed in relief. It was only a nightmare, I thought to myself. Charlie burst into my room and sighed when he saw me sitting up. "You scared me, Bells. You were screaming." 

  "Sorry, Dad." I said, feeling bad for waking him up. I looked at my clock on my nightstand that read three O'clock am. He must have been fast asleep when my screaming woke up. 

  Charlie walked over and rubbed my back. "It's okay. Are you going to be able to go back to sleep?" 

  I nodded, trying to reassure him enough so that he'd go back to bed. "I'm fine, really. You should go back to sleep, though. You have work tomorrow." 

  "Okay." He complied. "If you need anything, let me know." I nodded and he leaned down and kissed my forehead before leaving my room. This Edward stuff was really getting to me after sitting on it and avoiding him for a week. I rubbed my face and got up to go take a shower, knowing that there was no way I was going back to sleep. 

  The next day, I drove up to La Push to visit Jacob. I had called him earlier to ask if I could come over and he was more than happy to say yes. When I pulled up, Jacob ran up to me and engulfed me in a huge hug when I got out of the car. He took me inside his house which had quite a bit of people. I recognized Quil and Embry playing videos games with another larger teen. Jacob smacked the three of them and told them to come say hi to me. 

  Quil was the first to stand up and greet me. "Hey, Bella! Long time no see." 

  I smiled, saying hi back. "This is Paul," Jacob stated, pointing to the guy I didn't recognize on the couch. He turned around and waved at me, not saying anything. "Don't take offence to his lack of words. Paul doesn't like new people at first, but he'll just have to suck it up." He made a face at Paul and Paul punched him in the gut. 

  Jacob ignored that, walking back over to my side. A larger guy walked into the room from the kitchen and shook my hand. "Hello, I'm Sam." His hand was just as warm as Jacob was, but I overlooked it. "Jacob has been talking nonstop about you." 

  I laughed and Jacob shouted a "hey" at him. "I'm glad to meet you guys." I stated, genuinely. "You guys all seem very close." 

  "We're basically Sam's bitch." Embry remarked.