chapter 2

My first few weeks of school went by pretty fast. Me and Edward talked a lot at school and whenever we would run into each other. Mike started trying to hang out with me more as an attempt to get the chance to ask me out, but I spent most of my free time doing homework and hanging out with Angela. Angela was one of the only people, other than Edward, that I enjoyed talking to and hanging out with. She was a great listener and never overstepped by asking too intrusive questions. 

  Her and I were walking out of school, talking about our plans for prom when Mike came up to us. "Hey, Bella, I-I was wondering if you didn't have a date to the prom already, that, maybe, w could go together?" His stumbling of words was almost charming, but not only did I not like Mike in that way, I knew Jessica liked him and she'd kill me if I went to prom with him. I exchanged a look with Angela and then looked back to Mike. "That's really sweet of you, Mike, but I'm afraid I'm going to be out of town that weekend to visit my mom in Florida." 

  "Oh." Was all he said with a disappointed expression. Thank god Angela saved me by saying, "You should ask Jessica! She's totally into you." 

  "If you say so. Catch you girls around then." Mike said before running off to go find Jessica. 

    The minute Mike was out of sight, me and Angela broke into a laugh. "That could have gone way worse." I said, relieved. 

  She nodded in agreement. "Happy to help." I walked with her to her car before heading off to my own truck to go home. 

  I stopped in front of my truck when I received a text from Charlie on what he wanted me to pick up for dinner. After sending my reply, I looked up and saw Edward across the parking lot with his siblings. I waved at him, smiling. Even from afar he looked just as perfect as he did up close. My thoughts got cut short when I heard a car speeding through the parking lot. I looked over to see that it was speeding my direction, but I was too frozen in panic and fear to move. 

  In a split of a second, Edward's arms were wrapped around me and he held his arm out, stopping the car, which was going at around sixty miles per hour, with his bar hand. The car halted to a stop and when Edward pulled his hand away, there was a huge dent in the side of the car. Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion. Edward looked down at me, making sure I wasn't injured, and right as people were starting to surround us, he ran off, leaving me alone. 

  Tyler stuck his head out the window of his car, blood running down his forehead, to say, "Bella, I'm so sorry! I-I just lost control and..." I stopped listening to him after that. People surrounded the car, calling my name and making sure I wasn't bleeding. Someone called nine-one-one, and before I knew it, I was being sent to the hospital. 

   At the hospital, I didn't recognize my doctor until he introduced himself to me when he was testing me for whiplash. "Hello, Bella. I'm Doctor Carlisle Cullen." My father thanked him for seeing me so soon, and I could tell they knew each other previously. Charlie left to go yell at Tyler, but he claimed it was "to get a statement". 

  I recognized Carlisle's last name as the same one as Edward's, so I was curious to see if he had an explanation for what had really happened with the accident. "You know, it's crazy. I wouldn't have survived if it wasn't for your son, Edward." 

  He looked up from the clipboard he was writing notes on and gave me a puzzled expression. "Edward?" 

  I nodded, continuing. "Yeah, it's funny, actually. He wasn't even near me when the car came, but he managed to be right with me in a split second. And then," I paused to make sure what I was saying was a hundred percent real and what had actually happened. "He stopped the car with his bare hands and left without a scratch. Isn't that crazy?"