chapter 3

This time I was the one who was trying to sit the farthest away from Edward. My mind was racing with questions and different ways to escape the car if Edward decided to attack me too. I think he picked up on my fear when he said, "Bella, I would never hurt you. Calm down." I nodded, trying to reassure myself of what he was telling me. Edward has had many chances to hurt me and hasn't, so why was I so scared now? He just killed a fucking guy!  My heart race started picking up again and so did my breathing. 

  I noticed how fast Edward was driving, so I yelled, "Stop the fucking car!" That wasn't a good idea, because he slammed the breaks. The car jolted to a stop and neither of us said a word. 

  "I wish I could hear or know what you're thinking right now." I snapped my head toward toward him, giving him a death glare. Edward stopped talking and just stared at the road ahead of us. 

  Both of us sat there in silence until my nerves calmed down. After a while I let out a breath, calming down. "What are you?" I asked, slightly afraid of the answer. 

  Edward shook his head. "You know what I am, Bella. You've seen enough and done enough research to figure it out." 

  "What?" I asked, trailing off. Then I realized something. How did he know I was in danger? How does he know I did research? "Have you been following me?" I accused him. 

   "I had to make sure you wouldn't tell anybody your version of what happened with the car accident." He didn't sound like admitting to being a stalker was out of the ordinary to him and that pissed me off. 

  I readjusted myself so that I was directly facing him. "So you've been stalking me? That's super creepy." I paused, remembering what my search told me about him. "It's true." My voice was almost a whisper now. "You're a vampire." I waited for him to deny it, to say anything that would prove I'm crazy. There's no way in hell that I'm sitting in a car with a real vampire. 

  He didn't deny it. In fact, he nodded. "I would have told you, but telling you meant I either have to kill you or change you into one." My fear started to come back. Was this why he was telling me all this? Is this why he stopped in a place where no one was around? To kill me? I wasn't sticking around to find out. 

  As fast as I could, I unlocked the car and started running as fast as my legs could carry me. The cold wind blew in my face like ice pellets hitting my skin. I didn't look back to see if he was following me, which was probably a dumb decision, but that was the least of my worries. Once I was sure I had ran far enough, I dialed Charlie's number and asked him to pick me up. He could barely understand me through my panting because of how short winded I got from running, but he agreed to come, nevertheless. 

  I didn't utter a word to Charlie on the ride back. I knew he was concerned and probably confused as hell, but I didn't feel like talking. I wanted to scream. Getting to know Edward was both exciting and terrifying, and now I finally understood why. He was a monster. He had to be. Although Edward never seemed like he'd ever want to hurt me, I had no idea what to think now. Not after what I saw tonight. 

  At home, I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling, questioning everything. What the hell was I supposed to do now? I couldn't tell anyone, that was for sure. Not only would no one believe me, I couldn't put anyone else in that kind of danger. Plus, Edward could get into some serious shit. The city would go mad and probably burn his family. They didn't deserve that, whether I was scared of them or not. I needed to talk to someone about this. But who? Angela couldn't know and my dad sure as hell would not handle this well. He'd probably send me to an asylum. I was alone and the only person I could talk to about this was Edward himself.

  At school the next day, I waited for the Cullens to arrive in their shiny, fancy car. When they did, I walked up to Edward and put on my most intimidating face that I could come up with, and marched over to him. "We need to talk." I demanded.