Play It Like You Mean It: Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

Damien was nodding and smiling, while Evan looked impassive but still nodded. Jessie looked murderous like she was about to kill something. Asher seems to smile and nod also and with that, they turned back to me, who was staring into space.

“McKayla?” Asher asked me and I turned to face them.

“Yo,” I replied.

“We need to ask you something,” Damien told me and I looked at them questioningly.

“You better not ask me if I’m a virgin or have a boyfriend,” I told them in a serious tone.

Asher smirked and Damien laughed at that.

“No, we were just wondering if you would like to be in our band as our bass guitarist,” Evan told me and I looked at them, shocked.

“Um, can’t you find anyone else?” I asked them nervously.

“We could but that would take some work and stuff. Besides, I think you have the most experience in here,” Damien told me matter of factly.

I sighed. I don’t really know about this. Playing the guitar would bring back too many unpleasant memories, but at the same time, playing the guitar makes me content and happy.

I met Asher’s gaze and said, “Can I get back to you on that? Let me think about it and I’ll text you my answer or tell you tomorrow.”

He nodded and gave me his cell number, which I quickly update to my phone. With that, I turn to leave but was stopped when Asher voiced called my name. I turned and saw him running up to me.

“Listen, McKayla, if you don’t want to, don’t feel pressure into joining. It’s just that, this band is really important to me and you in it can actually make it better,” he said and I gave him a smile.

“I’ll think about it, okay? And don’t worry, I’m not pressured into doing anything,” I told him and gave him a little wave as I walked to my car.

I could feel his gaze on my back as I walked away, and somehow, that was really comforting.

The drive home was pretty quick and when I entered our house, it was quiet and empty. Dad is mostly likely to be at work and Nathan is at practice. What the hell am I suppose to do for the time being? I was about to walk past the living room but stopped when I saw three guitar lined up in front of the piano. My acoustic guitar, my electric guitar, and my bass guitar all in one piece. It was dusty due to it not being played for awhile and I stared at it, indecisive. I took out some cleaning wipes and went to clean off the dust. After that, I couldn’t take it anymore and grab my bass guitar. The feeling of it in my arms was comforting and I began strumming some notes. The sound of it made me smile and I was too busy playing it to hear my brother come in.

“It’s been awhile since I saw you with a guitar,” Nathan commented and took a seat next to me.

I gave him a sad look and nodded, “Yeah, I miss it.”

“You know, ever since you stop playing, you stop smiling also. This is the first time I saw you smile in awhile,” he stated.

“What are you talking about? I smile all the time,” I said defensively.

He shook his head and put his arms around me, “They’re fake smiles, Kay. I can tell your real ones and your fake ones.”

I didn’t reply to that and he continued, “I think you should play again.”

I looked at him, “Asher and his band asked me to join them, but I said I would think about it first.”

“Sis, I think you should take it. If playing makes you happy, then screw the bad memories and embrace the happy feeling of doing it,” he told me and I sighed.

“You’re right,” I answered.

“I usually am,” he laughed and I slapped him on the back of his head.

“Don’t get use to it,” I smirked and avoided the pillow that he threw at me.

I set the guitar down on its holder and walked upstairs to my room. I whipped out my phone and called Asher, who picked up on the second ring.

“Hello?” he asked and I shiver at his voice. It was so soft and deep, and makes me want to completely melt.

“Yeah, it’s me,” I answered.

“What’s up, McKayla?” he asked me and I took a deep breath.

“I’m in,” I said.

“Cool. Be at practice tomorrow after school in the music room and we’ll give you some songs to practice,” he replied.

“Kay, see you tomorrow then,” I was about to hang up when Asher said, “Thanks, McKayla.”

He shut off and I stared at my phone for a minute. It was weird how he was the only one who called me by my full name. And I liked it. Somehow, it seems right for him to call me by McKayla, instead of “Kayla” or “Kay” like my friend and family does. Thinking about it, my stomach went all floppy. Butterflies, my mind told me and I realized that I haven’t felt like this before. Not with my pass boyfriends that I’ve dated. This was completely different, because Asher is completely different.