Play It Like You Mean It: Chapter 4

Chapter 4

How the heck did he know that I was here? Too late to leave now, I thought and entered the music room cautiously. When I got in, everyone was staring, excluding Jessie, who was giving me a death look. I returned it with a slight smirk, but turn and face the band.

Asher, when he saw me looking at him, he leaned against the wall with his arms crossed and asked, “So? Did you like it?”

“Why are you asking for my opinion?” I asked him questioningly.

He shrugged, “I figure you would be a good candidate since you know something about music.”

“If you want my honest opinion-“ I was interrupted with a sarcastic laugh from Jessie.

“Her? Knows something about music? Please, my dead grandma would know more than she does,” Jessie sneered and I raised my eyebrows.

“Well, unless she walks out of her grave, bitch, I would beg to differ,” I snapped.

A guy that I didn’t know yet turns to me with a friendly smile and said, “Prove Jessie wrong.”

I shrugged and said, “Fine.”

“What’s your name?” I asked him.

“Damien,” he answered and I said, “Well, then Damien, can I borrow your guitar?”

He nodded and handed to me, as well as his guitar pick. I slung the strap around me and refuse to meet anyone’s gaze as I began to play the notes of some random song that I remembered from a long time ago. It’s been awhile since I played, but once my fingers touched the strings, it was like I didn’t need to do anything at all. It felt natural. A played a few more chords and turned back to face them when I was done. I was met my drop jaws and wide eyes as I returned the guitar to Damien.

“Please, it’s one instrument. That hardly counts for musically experienced,” Jessie scoffed and I turn to smile sweetly at her.

“How much do you want to bet that I can play your keyboard better than you can?” I asked her and her evil smile disappeared.

“Don’t make bets that you know you’re going to lose,” she snapped and I only shrugged.

“I know I’m not going to lose this one,” I said and approached the keyboard.

“Move,” I commanded and she moved with a glare.

Then I was playing the keyboard with no problem at all. My fingers moved swiftly with each note, hitting the right ones, and playing my heart out. Like the guitar, it has been awhile but I accomplished it successfully.

Once I was done, I turned to them, “I can also play the bass guitar, but other than these three, that’s it.”

“Wow,” was all Damien said and I gave him a grin.

I stepped from behind the keyboard and looked at Asher, who was looking at me with an unreadable expression.

“About you earlier question, I thought that your song was really good, but you’re missing a bass guitar to balance out the electric guitar. Other than that, it’s really awesome,” I told him and he nodded.

“Wait for a moment would you?” Asher asked me and nodded at his band to meet in the corner of the room. They all huddled, and I noticed that Jessie is trying to lean her body towards Asher, but he took a step away. I smirked, relief. What the hell am I thinking? Asher is not mine, damn it. But I couldn’t help but felt envious when she tried to run her fingers down his arm. I leaned against the wall and the band was whispering about something that made Jessie scowl.