Play It Like You Mean It: Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I really wished I didn’t have to do this, because by the time I reached Greenside Park, I felt every inch of my heart breaking into pieces.

The fact that my brother told me Asher took Cara away hurts, but the fact that my heart yearns for Asher hurts more.

I saw Asher, sitting on the swings, rocking gently and my heart leapt. Even folded in a little swing set, his long frame and handsome face makes me want to run to his arms and never let go. Does that make me pathetic?

He heard me approach but he didn’t look up. I think he knew that something was up and didn’t want to push me.

“Hey,” I said softly to him before I plopped onto the swing next to him.

He turned his gaze on me and I gulped. He could see the heartbreak in my eyes, and his eyes seemed to mirror mine.

We remain quiet, just gazing into each other eyes before he asked, “Nathan told you?”

I nodded and he sighed quietly.

I looked at him and said, “I know this is the stupidest question to ask, but why?”

Asher looked at me straight in the eye and said, “Are you sure you want to hear my side of the story or are you going to walk away?”

I just looked at him and said, “Go ahead.”

He nodded and began, “My dad left my mom, little sister, and me when I was a freshman.”

I looked at him, shocked for a moment and stared at Asher. Asher careful eyes contained so much pain that I wanted to take it all away, but I can’t.

“He left abruptly at that, no explanation, just grabbed his stuff and left. My mom, who was a nurse at the hospital, didn’t make him stay. She knew he was unhappy with us and she let him leave. But me, I was angry. Here, my father, who I used to look up to, left my family and I couldn’t take that. Martie, my little sister, was only 2 at that time, didn’t know much. But she needed a father and he couldn’t give that to her,” he said.

He paused for a moment, and I saw his eyes turned misty at the thought of his father and his family now.

“My mom did everything she could to manage our little family. She took extra jobs and shifts, while Martie grew up without a father and never get to live as a little girl. What pains me was that I didn’t make my mom’s life easier either,” he choked out.

I couldn’t resist and I grabbed his hand in comfort. I’m not letting him going into his past alone. Asher’s hands tensed in mine, but slowly, he squeezed back.

“After dad left, I was on the road of destruction. I was with a different girl every night, drinking and always wasted, and always under the influence of some damn chemical,” he breathed out and closed his eyes at the memory.

“That kept going for me until the day I met Cara at a party,” he told me and I tensed.

“Everyone knew that Cara and Nathan were in love, but at the party, Cara came alone. I was on my way to get a drink when Cara appeared in front of me, looking like she was heartbroken,” he said.

I remained quiet and he continued, “She told me that she needed some comfort because Nathan and she argued. You have to understand, McKayla, I didn’t intend on hooking up with her. Although I’m a dick, I don’t do girls who are already taken,” he looked at me in earnest and I found truth in his words.

“So Cara led me somewhere quiet and we ended up in the backyard in the poolhouse. That was when I knew that Nathan is going to kill me,” he sighed and he looked like he was about to break.

“We ended up hooking up and that was when everything changed. Nathan found out and everything unraveled. I did something I regret by taking someone’s else girl. That’s something I have to live with, but I didn’t meant to do it. That day, I lost a friend for a girl I don’t even like,” he uttered.

“I’m so sorry, McKayla. You have no idea how sorry I am,” he whispered.

I grabbed his chin so he can look at me in the eyes and it held so much pain and regret that I pulled him to me and he began crying. I closed my eyes as he held me to him and cried his heart out. All of his pain, all of his regrets, all of his love, all if it came out in a long round of tears.

After he was done, I tugged him up and led him to the grassy side by a huge tree and said, “Asher, don’t apologize to me. You need to apologize to my brother, not me.”

Asher looked at me and asked, “You’re not mad?”

I sighed and leaned against the tree, then said, “Well, I’m kinda pissed, but not at you.”

Asher then smiled a relief filled his whole face. He leaned in into he was at my face level and kissed my nose quickly.

“Thank you,” he smiled.

I shrugged and really looked at him. Instead of seeing a badass, good looking guy, I see a vulnerable, and shy looking boy who is on the verge of breaking.

“Hey, “ I made him look at me and smiled, “in any case, I forgive you, Asher.”

Then I pulled his lips to mine and kissed him for all I’m worth. He hesitated for a second before he pulled me closer to him and responded. He returned my kiss with a passion of his own and fireworks exploded. He tongue grazed mine and I pulled him closer to me, running my hands through his hair while his arms formed a vice around my own.

We pulled away and I looked at him.

“Come on,” I detangled myself away from him and offered my hand.

He took it and looked at me in question, “Where are we going?”

I sighed and looked at him, “To talk to my brother.”

“But-“

I stopped his “but” with a kiss and smiled, “Trust me.”

Asher looked like he was about to argue and nodded, “I trust you with my life and my heart.”