Chapter 13

Three months had passed since the fire had swallowed the establishment, reducing everything in its wake to ashes and rubble.

I had inhaled so much smoke that they feared greatly for my lungs. However, after a few weeks of hospitals, testing, examinations, a touch of bronchitis and unending boredom, I was released, labelled unharmed and healthy. My cast had soon been removed and I gained control and muscle in my injured leg quickly. I was allowed to ride again, but I didn't dare visit the barn. It wasn't out of shame or embarrassment or anything like that.

It was just that I couldn't save her.

Arrow and Flicker had fled the barn, with only a few scrapes as a token of the flame. Venus hadn't been spared. Her death had been swift, a falling beam had ended her life in a mere moment. Still, the image of licking wisps of heat lingered fresh in my mind. Every night I imagined new ways that I could have saved her.

Even Cassidy was in despair. All this time her heart had seemed like a frozen stone but as soon as she was the victim her icy facade melted away. Tears had cascaded from everyone's eyes when the firemen revealed the start of the tragedy, Cassidy had apparently sobbed. She wasn't really the victim, Venus was the real victim. However, in some ways it did make sense, Cassidy had been entrusted with her care, she had failed herself and Mr Ross, besides, even the most frozen of hearts adored Venus.

Then there was the big question. Who was the culprit? Flames didn't ignite themselves, but who would willingly put the horses at risk? It was assumed an accident until Aria discovered a charred lighter among the heap of remaining structure. Mr Ross had a strict rule, no lighters or matches near the barn and newcomers were always well informed of this prohibition, he even went as far as collecting any hazardous substances at the gate. It led to only one conclusion; someone purposely violated the rules resulting in the burning of our barn and the loss of a filly.

My phone buzzed in my palm as the familiar tune floated from the speakers. Holding the phone to my ear, I sighed.

"Hi Mr Ross." I said, reluctant to chat.

"Hello Allegra, you're well aware you have a foal to train, correct?"

"Oh, yeah." I said, pacing over to the window.

"Well you haven't been at the barn very much." He replied, a light tone underlying his cold voice.

"What barn?" I answered without thinking; a rush of guilt fell to my mind. "Sorry, I didn't mean that."

"We might lack a barn but we still have perfectly good paddocks. And a round pen mind you. The girls are wondering where you are."

"You should find someone else for Arrow. I can't do it."

"Mrs Ross and I spend hours matching riders to their foals. We chose Arrow for a reason. That colt is special, if you make him special. You're mothers spoken with me and we've both agreed that you might need a little help. Have you ever heard of Holly Aekwood?"

I almost dropped the phone. My free hand flew to my mouth. Holly Aekwood was my idol, a three time winner of the Everwood Horse Trials.

"Are you serious?" I asked in utter disbelief.

"Deadly." He answered, before hanging up.

Eyes wide, I pulled on my favourite tank top, lilac with the embellishment of a silver show jumper, and a slightly worn pair of beige jodphurs. Rushing down the stairs, I alerted my mum of my whereabouts, pulled on my boots and a jacket, yanked my bike from its usual spot and pedalled furiously down the route to Shadow Hill.

_____________________________________________________________

Okay so it's pretty short but I felt bad for not updating in so long

I know. It's realllyyyyyy bad. Anyways, I hope you can try and enjoy it :)