Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

There was a real sense of excitement and nervousness at Vexton Land Protection upon the arrival of Beverley Gibson. Those who worked at VLP held her in very high esteem. Long before she was appointed Secretary of Agriculture and Environmental Safety, it was well known how diligently she worked on behalf of American farmers.

Because it had touched on the people I worked most closely with, the farmers, her work two and a half years ago convincing the PBA Strategic Council to allow an all-natural Canadian pesticide called Sun Mist to be sold in America remained in my memory. She'd spent hours in front of the council pleading her case, and even though the odds were stacked against her, she'd succeeded. Sun Mist went on to be the most popular pesticide in the country.

The seemingly relentless storms had subsided by the time she arrived, which was good news—I was looking forward to giving her a tour of the Vexton farmlands. After exchanging pleasantries, she explained why she had come to Vexton. "I know you're well aware of the severe challenges our American farming communities are facing," she said. "I think it's important to study the surrounding issues practically and directly."

"We're extremely honored to have you here," I replied as I offered her a seat in one of the chairs before my desk and sat down myself.

"The pleasure's all mine. That must be your father in that picture," she said, nodding toward the picture on the wall behind my desk.

I glanced back at Dad. "Yes, it is. Dennis Claremont."

"I hope you don't mind, but I did my homework before coming here, and I understand your father died a hero."

I smiled. "Dad would never have seen it that way. He would have viewed it as just performing his job."

"Rescuing two young boys in the midst of one of the worst storms your town has ever seen... I would say your father's a hero, Mr. Claremont."

"Speaking of heroes, I sure didn't have to do any homework onyour father's outstanding accomplishments."

Beverley Gibson nodded. "My father sure loved his country, and he always told me that being defense director was a true privilege. His death was so tragic, but his spirit continues to bring me true inspiration."

"I don't think there was a single soul in the country that wasn't shocked and saddened by your father's death, especially by the manner in which it happened."

"It was heartbreaking to see such an honorable man killed in such a cowardly manner, and I just hope we're able to find the perpetrator," Beverley replied. "Now, let me tell you why I chose to visit Vexton specifically. The homework I did turned up quite a few impressive things about you. The main thing being that you've done an incredible job here, under such dreadful conditions. The revitalization projects you've completed within the last several years are obviously a testament to your environmental and farming knowledge, along with your management skills."

"I take great pride in helping look after this special place. It hasn't been easy for me, especially over the last few weeks..." Heath hesitated, then plunged on. "Since my son Riley contracted LRS. But I know I owe it to myself and my community to be strong and continue on. I also owe it to my father, to carry on his legacy."

Miss Gibson frowned her concern. "I knew you have an eight- year-old son, but I was unaware he was suffering from LRS. It's such a terrible illness, so unfair. I know it probably doesn't serve as much consolation, but I can assure you that President

Westgale has a highly acclaimed team of medical scientists trying to find a cure."

After discussing farming-related issues, we headed off in the VLP robo-copter, making visits to several of the farms within the region. Beverley was taken by the beauty of the land and enjoyed meeting the people of Vexton. Her technical team was very impressed with how efficiently the farmers had nurtured the land in such an environmentally friendly manner.