Chapter 1

It was the thing everybody was talking about.

Over the last year, there had been an incredible buildup to this day. Many had even camped out for the last several days. And now, as the red, white, and blue neon lights of the VT logo illuminated the entire area, a murmur of anticipation ran through the capacity crowd. At precisely 8:00 p.m., when Vexton-Tech chairman Gerald Levin made his way to the stage, followed by his son and CEO, Skip, the crowd cheered with sheer excitement, knowing the moment was at hand.

Gerald stepped up to the podium and scanned the crowd with enthusiasm. "Good evening, everyone. Thank you so much for your support!" he said. "Many doubted this day would ever come. But I always say, when someone tells you that you're incapable of doing something, ignore them. The doubters said this would never work; they said we could never make it affordable to the average American. Well, they were wrong!"

Once again, the crowd erupted into thunderous applause. Smiling, Gerald stepped back, and Skip stepped forward and took over the sound-blast. "Friends of Vexton-Tech, the moment you've all been waiting for is finally here. You've heard about it for quite some time. Believe me when I tell you, we are every bit as excited about this as you are." He paused for effect. "I now present to you the first in our planned series of consumer robots: the Home Servant."

* * *

US President William T. Westgale shook his head and looked around at those gathered for an emergency meeting of his Environmental Safety Department. "Just six months ago, all three consulting reports we had performed on these SD10 acid rain air pockets recommended we stay the course for the next eighteen months, and now you're telling me these damn things are emitting an advanced form of sulfur dioxide we have never seen before!"

"That's correct, sir. Nobody expected this to happen," replied Evan Ryder, the department's director.

"Well, that's not correct, Director Ryder," Westgale snapped, his scowl deepening. "You know very well Professor Kinsley warned of this happening sooner rather than later, and as usual we ignored his advice. This administration is going to face all kinds of criticism over this, and I must admit, it's most certainly deserved."

"With all due respect, sir, if we listened to Kinsley and Forever Green's fearmongering, we would constantly be generating paranoia across the country. Besides, we can't accept the majority of their studies because they never follow our rules and standards," said Director Ryder.

"I have Dr. Muller on the flash-screen, sir," said Nicole Kratz, the president's executive director and the country's second in command.

Westgale gave her a short nod and a moment later directed toward the flash-screen, "Charles, I want you to be blunt. What are we looking at here?"

"The experts I've consulted with have told me that the effects felt will be minimal at this stage, and there is no need for panic. We're looking at a very basic form of hay fever. I've also consulted with Dr. Ahar, who has informed me he will continue to monitor the situation," replied Westgale's medical chief.

"I must inform you, Mr. President, our view-file response patches have been overwhelmed with concerned citizens wanting to know what exactly is happening. I think it's important we address the public tonight," Nicole interjected.

Westgale nodded. "Yes. Set something up."

Later that evening, in his address via the World Connect on the impact of SD10 acid rain, President Westgale stressed the fact that this matter was now in the very capable hands of Dr. Jack Ahar.

The Westgale Administration placed great confidence in Dr. Ahar. Revered by the American public, Ahar was unique in the fact that his expertise did not just lie in medical science, but in many scientific areas. His extremely informative program on the World Connect had garnered him celebrity status, bringing him admirers around the globe. He often lectured at the highly acclaimed Summit University in New York City, and acted as a consultant to medical and scientific agencies from around the world. Although he had become a scientific icon, when it came time to apply himself to his profession, Dr. Ahar was all business.