Chapter 1

300 years ago, the land of Valakolondoum was beautiful and prosperous. The land sprouted with life and contentment in every sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell. The countryside with bountiful crops and free healthy game fed all in the land. Each city gleamed like precious jewels in both day and night. In the cities all species would come and trade their goods, and all were wealthy. Magic was well and accessible to all. All folk went to university together to study all types of magic. There were still the great houses and those blessed by the gods that kept their magic to themselves. Still, all was well in the empire. . . Until it showed its face.

No one truly knows what caused this ancient being's wrath, but its wrath is what we received. No matter the cause The Grim used its ancient, deep, and dark magic to unleash on Valakolondoum uncountable hordes of beasts on us. They swept the land, ravishing, killing, and plundering in the name of their dark lord. The horde's mission was clear, destroy all life in the empire. The valiant folk of Valakolondoum were determined to fight back, so brave knights of every folk began to file into the Orders scattered throughout the land. These brave brotherhoods come together to fight this evil wherever it shows up. There were even Orc Orders, who most believe woke The Grim to push other races from the land. Now after 300 years of battle the bloodstained sword, armor, and shield is passed to me.

I Gendenani of the noble House Azim wish to fight for my country. As the third child of Lord Kamen Azim and Lord Matumba Azim instead of being a burden them I will give myself for the betterment of all. My elder siblings have already proved their worth to our parents. The principal heir to House Azim, my sister Makabi has taken a political role in the local government. My brother Senkona uses our house magic given to us by a goddess of Valakolondoum, Naviti to reinforce the defenses around the city. Needless to say I have done nothing with my life thus far. Since I was small I have only dreamed of battle. When I saw The Order of Entageni pass through our city I knew that one day I would march with them. My Uncle Dozana, the Lord Patriarch of Entageni will give me the opportunity to do so. From the stories my fathers told me House Azim has always been fighting in The Order of Entageni, and I shall be no different. Becoming Lady Matriarch is not a goal of mine however, I only wish to serve my Emperor, my kin, and my country.

This day Uncle Dozana has come to be my support to when I tell my parents that I wish to join The Order. He has also come to test my skill in battle. Uncle was the one who put a sword in my hand and trained me. To me Uncle Dozana is like a third father. He pushes me to be the greatest warrior I can be. He has never told me that though. I suppose it is to not inflate my ego. I know that I am a good swordswoman, but I also know that there are much better that I. This also includes my Uncle whom I still have not beaten. As our swords clash in the courtyard he bests me again with a quick sword hilt to the back of the head. I scramble to me feet but his sword is already at my throat. He chuckles and shakes his head at me. Uncle Dozana has trained me in his style of broadsword fighting. I push away his sword point with my fingers and he puts his sword back in its scabbard on his back.

"Your arm gets stronger every time I visit." I stick my sword in the ground with a large huff.

"Still cannot best you even when you're injured. I am not sure if I am ready Uncle." He returned for a battle against the hordes with a gash on his abdomen. He told me that in his delirium he could see the Hall of Glory calling him to enter. Still he persisted against the abominations of the hordes and they were victorious. The darkness receded and the Nightlands did not encroach any further. In the past 300 years much land has been lost to The Grim. Almost half of the country has been taken over by its darkness. In that the race of Dovan have went extinct. Tribal Orcs have fled their strongholds and are causing more of a problem. Even the Dwarves have had to flee their underground cities in the east. All the races have suffered including my race the Valkans. The many races of elves have also been suffering.