Chapter XX - Here and Now

BOOM!

One more hit was all that was needed from Cuphead to finally take down The Devil and win this fight. After many shots were fired, several dodge attacks were made, and countless wound marks that had been scarred onto their bodies, the battle was finally over with the Devil falling face first into the tectonic ground below him, his eyelids closing heavily over his pupils as little stars danced in circles over his head. Cuphead stood still, looking right in front of him to be face to face with the Devil, standing only a few feet away from his head. Continuing to examine him, Cuphead began to allow his heart rate to rest as he inhaled and exhaled heavy breathes that seemed to escape from him during the intense war that just went down. The Devil slowly opened his large black eyes; tired and weary as he looked towards Cuphead with a sigh of defeat.

'O-okay... OKAY! YOU WIN!' The Devil roared with anger filling up his voice. 'Just tell me what you want and I'll do it, as long as you never step foot in here again!'

'Alright then...' Cuphead proclaimed with his eyes half-lidded, getting down on one knee to talk to the Devil and look at him directly in the eye. He rested his right arm on the edge of his knee as he prepared to talk. 'I swear I will never come in here again as long as if you stay away from my friends.'

'Ughh, you drive a hard bargain, Cuphead. But if you insist, then...'

'AND...' Cuphead interrupted, dragging out his words, 'and I want you to free (Y/N), now.'

The Devil looked at Cuphead with an empty stare, blinking a couple of times before letting out a ghastly laugh from deep inside. 'Cuphead, I don't think you realise what I've just done.'

Cuphead raised one eyebrow, leaning forward a little while firmly holding himself up with the palm of his hand on the ball of his knee. 'What do you mean?'

'I mean that I can't do anything.' He began to straighten out his smile into a more serious expression that he held on his face, 'When I tore up the card, the light went out. That's it. There is nothing else I can do.'

'Wa-wait... can't you just cast some black magic or creepy spiritual spell to bring her back?'

The Devil let out a sigh that was full of exhaustion. 'What good will that do? I don't think you understand, pal; there is NOTHING I can do! Her fate lies undecided. She can only come back in time, but for now all we can do is wait.'

Cuphead's eyes widened once the reality of the words hit him, his head turning to my direction so he could look at my resting body lying peacefully on the ground. He soon came to realise that if luck wasn't on his side, I may never wake up. That one thought alone scared him more than he could comprehend, more than he could care to admit. He figured out a while ago that he does in fact have very intense feelings whenever he's around me; his heartbeat grows faster, the contents of his head begin bubbling up inside with steam coming out from the top, and his legs feel like jelly every time I show a smile, even the smallest smile I could possibly give makes him weak.

Once his thoughts were all gathered and had come to develop a few more questions to ask The Devil, he rotated his head back around facing forward, only to stumble upon the fact that he had completely disappeared from sight without a sound or trace. He sat in silence for a moment, wondering to himself what had just happened, only to be instantly pulled from those thoughts by the sound of the ground rumbling and shaking from below his feet. Before he knew it, the entire room around him started to vibrate uncontrollably; the ceiling above him slowly cracking into large gaps that began to fall down into teardrop-sized pieces.