Chapter XVII - Time For A Change

Darkness was all I could see as my eyes adjusted to the room around me, slowly lifting my eyelids open from a heavy, unwanted slumber. Shifting my body into a sitting position, my mind slowly transferred from dreamland into reality as I had managed to recall the events that had just happened. My heart began racing as I looked around, noticing I was placed in a dark, empty vault with walls made out of titanium. I sat uncomfortably on top a wooden bench with a small black blanket as rough as sandpaper covering my legs. The more I looked around, the less I was able to find, filling my body with nerves and a sudden fear that coursed through my blood.

'Good evening, my innocent little angel.'

A deep, hauntingly nefarious voice echoed around the room, giving my heart the biggest scare and causing all hairs on my arms to stand up.

'Enjoy your little nap? I hope so. You won't be allowed to get any rest once you're on the job.'

While the voice continued to echo through the metal walls, my eyes travelled everywhere in search of a speaker or radio somewhere, only to find there was nothing and no where the voice could be traced from. It just seemed to be the same volume no matter where I stood.

'W-what's happening?' I stuttered out loud with a shaky voice, 'What's going on?'

'Relax, my darling. You're in a safe place now...'

'What d-do you mean?'

After a few moments passed, the sound of silence painted the room as I anxiously waited for a response. Still looking around, my eyes darted over to a dark, closed metal door. My body flung up from the bed and raced over to it, eager to push it open and escape. As I pressed my hands firmly on the cold barrier, I pushed as hard as I could, using all my force to try and get it to open. But to no avail, the door was locked shut, seemingly impossible to open with the limited amount of strength I had. Still, I kept trying, my mind racing with fear and desperate to get out of this cell.

'LET ME OUT!'

My mouth couldn't help but let out a small grunt every time I tried pushing the door, wishing that it would suddenly open. After so many failed attempts, I sighed and began bashing the door with my fists in frustration, only to end up with bruised hands and the door showing no visible signs of damage. I turned around, glancing over at every direction I could to try and find another way to escape, but sadly, it seemed I was trapped in a cold, empty vault with nothing but myself, a locked door and a mysterious voice.

'P-please, let me o-out...' I stumbled as the words drained out in fear.

'Don't cry, darling.' The voice replied, a low growl connecting to a manic laugh, 'Don't you know it only excites me?'

'Who... are you?' I questioned, not exactly confident to know if I want an answer.

'Oh, my dear. You wish to know who I am?' It giggled a little before clearing its throat. 'Very well. I am the prince of darkness. The one who controls all that is villainous in the world. The lord of fire and sin. I am responsible for the corrupt and the wicked, the insane and the damned. I am... The Devil!'

In an instant, everything froze. The room had somehow grown colder and my heart stopped for a brief moment in panic, quickly processing what was going on. A huge, uneasy feeling washed over my body as I now understood who I was talking to.

'Surprised, I see?' He groaned as you could hear a demonic smile paint his face. 'So you should be! It's not every day an individual like yourself gets to talk to The Devil...'

'W-what... do you want with me?' I asked, looking up as if he were watching me from above. 'I have nothing you want.'

'Not true...' He paused, before continuing, 'You have something I don't. Something I may never be able to possess.'