Chapter IV - Making Friends

It had been about an hour since the boys had left and I was busy outside helping Elder Kettle plant some rose and tulip seeds for his flowerbed.

'We're back!' I heard the sound of Cuphead call out as he walked outside to meet us. Mugman followed behind him, carrying a large brown paper bag in his hands. He reached out and presented it to me.

'We hope you like it. We got into a few arguments about what we should buy but we saw this one and thought you may like it.' Mugman exclaimed as I reached out and grabbed the bag.

'That's so sweet guys.' I commented, standing up and heading over to go inside.

'If you like you can get changed in my room.' Cuphead suggested, 'It's upstairs to the right. The door has a letter C on it so you can't miss it.'

'Okay, thanks.' I smiled politely before walking through the door and closing it.

Making my way up the stairs, I began to ponder about the boys. They do seem really nice, and they just went out of their way for me to buy me new clothing. Maybe I can start relaxing around them now that I know how sweet they are, even though I've only had a few small conversations with them. I got to the second floor and went to the right, ending up at the end of a hallway to a closed door that had a big red letter C on it, just like Cuphead described.

As I walked in, I noticed his room was quite messy with his bed unmade and blankets pushed aside on the floor. I also noticed some pictures he had on his side desk; two of them were of him and Mugman when they were younger, one of him handling a baby duckling, and one with Mugman and Elder Kettle by his side, all wearing a big smile that plastered across their faces. It made me smile, getting a sense of how sweet and quirky this guy was. I hadn't meant to be so nosy and look all around his room, but I couldn't help it. Even though it was messy, it had a cosy feel to it somehow. I'd spent enough time looking around before I decided to see what was in the bag. I reached inside and lifted up a beautiful black and white checkerboard dress. I gasped at it, seeing how beautiful it was. After locking the door, I began to strip out of my dirty rags and put on the dress. Eager to see what it looked like, I walked over to an elegant brown mirror and looked at myself. This dress was beautiful! It was just a little above knee height and fit me like a glove. I couldn't help but twirl around in it and admire the fabric spin up a little and wrap around my body. I was so happy with this dress, I couldn't stop smiling.

As I left his room, I carried down the stairs where I could hear the boys talking and laughing. I wanted to see their reaction to me wearing the dress they picked out for me. Wondering what they will say, I reached halfway down the stairs where I saw Cuphead and Mugman playing a round of knucklebones. The game of theirs ended, with Cuphead jumping up cheering for himself and teasing his poor brother. Having them not realising I was on the staircase, I giggled and made a little cough sound in hopes of trying to get their attention.

'Ahem.' I softly called out. This is the one time I want attention, just to see what they think of the dress. They turned their heads to face me, both of them with wide eyes admiring my figure. Mugman stood up and smiled, while Cuphead's face turned red and the liquid in his head began to bubble a little.

'Golly, (Y/N), you look amazing!' Mugman exclaimed with a cheery smile on his face. Cuphead walked over to me, not even daring to remove his eyes from me.

'Well, aren't you a sight for sore eyes?' Cuphead purred, pausing at the bottom of the stairs while reaching his hand out for mine.

'Gee guys, you're so sweet.' I commented, placing my hand in Cuphead's as he walked me down the steps.

'So what do you think about it?' Cuphead questioned, glancing at me with a pinch of happiness peering through his eyes.

'Honestly, I love it. I can't thank you enough for this.' I responded, still having my left hand held in his.

'Don't mention it!' Cuphead beamed while unknowingly holding my hand a little tighter.

'Boys!' we heard Elder Kettle call from outside. 'Could one of you come help me out here?' Cuphead sighed, letting go of my hand and preparing to walk outside.

'Coming!' Mugman yelled out, smiling at the both of us.

'You sure Mugs?' Cuphead questioned his brother as we both stared at him. 'Don't you want to come with us?'

'It's alright; I can catch up with you later.' Mugman spoke with confidence in his voice. 'You can just take (Y/N) into town and walk around the place. I'll meet you there later.'

'Okay, thanks Mugs.' Cuphead responded just before Mugman flashed us both a friendly smile and proceeded to head outside. Cuphead turned his head around to face me as I did the same with him.

'Well, shall we proceed?' He suggested with a quirky smile. He politely held his arm out for me to wrap my hands around and I was more than happy to do so. Once my hand wrapped around his arm, I felt a sudden rush of butterflies in my stomach, making me giggle a little and blush in response.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Author's Note: This was the type of dress I had in mind. If you're not comfortable with it, feel free to imagine whatever you want to wear.

 If you're not comfortable with it, feel free to imagine whatever you want to wear