"I see. In that case, I'll take them." Shadow said before grabbing the rings off of your hands and sliding them on his wrists. 

Once he was done, he held out his red Chaos Emerald and called Chaos Control which teleported you four into the fortress. After a few seconds, you opened your eyes and looked around to see that you were indeed inside the fortress. You immediately opened your communicator and contacted the team, telling them that you have just arrived and will proceed to the control room. The three of you sneaked in the area and made sure to avoid the T-Rex like robot metarexes that patrolled the halls of the fortress. Shadow teleported area to area as you and Rouge ran. You all made a stop at a hallway, not knowing exactly where to go.

"Since this place is so huge, shouldn't we split up and look for the Chaos Emeralds?" Rouge suggested with a smirk. 

"No." Shadow answered.

"Why not?"

"I don't want to look for you if you get lost." He answered, turning away from you which made Rouge frown as if her plan had failed.

Rouge paused for a moment before fake smiling again. "Hey Y/N, the three of us using Chaos Control is just like when we escaped Prison Island." She said which made you smile upon remembering that time.

"Yeah you're right!" You replied.

"I was scared." Rouge said. "I thought you were going to abandon me."

"We then flew to Space Colony ARK." You continued.

"Yes. ARK was filled with memories of Maria. Heck, Y/N, you were dressed up as her." Rouge commented as she lightly elbowed you. 

You smiled however it quickly turned into a frown as you noticed Shadow fall on his knees, shaking and holding his head. You ran up to him and placed your hands on his shoulders. Rouge took that opportunity to fly away from you. Shadow was quick to recover from his state and ran to where Rouge flew off to and you followed. You saw Rouge trapped in the pinch-like jaws of one of the metarex dinosaurs and Shadow easily destroyed them all which created a hole in a wall that lead to another room. 

"Wait! This looks like the control room!" You said before running inside the room. "Just as I thought! If we destroy this, the defense system will be offline!"

Rouge and Shadow then proceeded to physically destroy the machines that powered the defense system whilst you shut them all down. You typed on the keyboard until you successfully shut down the system. You opened your communicator and called your team. 

"This is Y/N! We destroyed the defense system!" 

"You did it honey!" Sonic said which made you smile and you turned off your communicator. 

You, Rouge and Shadow then exited the room and ran to the main room where the remaining Chaos Emerald were supposed to be along with a Planet Egg. Along the way, Rouge and Shadow destroyed the metarexes however as you passed through a window, you noticed something different and so you turned your heel to look through the window once more and saw what was different along with Rouge and Shadow.

"A metarex armada?" You wondered.

"What's going on?" Rouge asked. Shadow's communicator then turned on and Eggman's voice spoke.

"Shadow, circumstances have changed. Escape from the fortress immediately."

"Doctor, explain. Do you see what we're seeing?" Shadow asked. 

"Yeah, I'm embarrassed that I fell for such a simple tactic."

"Can you hear me?" Another voice, one that you didn't recognise spoke. "To those who disturb order! My name is Red Pine. I'm one of the four Metarex bosses that serve under Dark Oak. You're completely surrounded. Escape is impossible! Since you collected the Chaos Emeralds, you saved us the trouble of searching for them. You're fools for not trusting each other! You can't escape! You'll perish inside the fortress!"