Chapter 3 - Red Hook

Picture of Luke>>>>>

Luke's POV

I'm on the roof, thinking about Asha and how she looked at me. It was pure hatred. She hates me. Then Natalie comes up to me.

"You're up early." She says.

"Actually, I haven't been to sleep yet." I reply. "I keep thinking of last night. I know it was harsh, but it was the right thing to do. My sister is off limits." I tell Natalie.

"Luke, can't you see her heart is broken? She really likes Moose and you can't just take that away from her, okay? That's not your call to make. You need to apologize." Natalie tells me.

"Okay. But they still can't date." I say. I stare into her beautiful eyes. I lean in to kiss her. I don't get to because she speaks up.

"We should get to Red Hook." She says.

"You're right." I respond.

Asha's POV

Once we're at Red Hook, music starts playing and we start our first dance. There's a part where Moose has to lift me into a trick and when we do that, it's really awkward. I don't dare make eye contact with him. I see Luke with his hands by his sides, in fists. He's staring angrily at the House of Red Hook. He looks at me with the same expression as Moose lets me down. He lifts his head up as we all start dancing again. After about 5 rounds of both our house and Red Hook dancing, the battle is over. The host announces that we won and we all start cheering. I hug Natalie and Moose. Luke pulls Moose and I apart.

"I'm allowed to hug my friends, Luke." I say.

"Whatever. Anyway, I'm sorry for yesterday. I was too harsh." Luke apologizes.

"Well, you should be." I say. He hugs me.

"You still can't date Moose though." Luke says.

"Ugh." I say as I pull back. We immediately head back to the house and crash for the night.

The next morning, I wake up and get ready for school. I leave without Moose today. After first period, I walk back to my locker and in the hallway, I bump into Moose.

"Oh. Sorry." I apologize to him.

"Just like how we met. Why did you leave without me this morning?" He asks.

"I think you know. I got to go." I say, walking away.

"You don't have to avoid me, you know." Moose assures me.

"I think I do. My brother doesn't want us anywhere near each other." I tell him.

"Please, Asha." Moose begs.

"I'm sorry. I just can't." I say. I walk to my next class and the rest of the day goes by in a blur. I can't stop thinking about Moose. It's pretty sad actually. I finally get a text from Luke that I've been waiting on all day.

PRACTICE. NOW. -Luke

K. -Asha

I start walking out the hallway to go to dance practice. I see Moose in the hallway walking towards the same stairs I am and I immediately go out a different exit towards my car and drive home. When I get there, Moose isn't there.

"Where's Moose?" Luke asks.

"Where's Moose? Are you serious? How am I supposed to know? You're the one keeping us apart." I say.

"Asha." Luke tries.

"Let's just rehearse." I say, just as Moose shows up. We start rehearsing and are done by 8:30pm. We have dinner and head to bed. The battle of Gwai is in 2 days. We need to be ready.

Luke's POV

Before I go to bed, I think about Asha. Again. Why can't I make things work between us? Everything was fine before Moose came. I mean, sure, he's nice and a great dancer but I don't want my sister to get serious about someone yet. She's the only family I have left. But she's in love. I can't do this to her, its selfish. Tomorrow, I'll actually apologize to her and Moose. They can be together if they want to because whatever I do, she's just gonna hate me more and her feelings for Moose aren't going to change. I lay there thinking about how I'll tell them the news, until I close my eyes involuntarily. When I wake up, I have breakfast and head out to get some fresh air. I get a call from Moose and I answer the phone.

"Moose! What's up, man." I greet him.

"Hey, man. What time is the battle tomorrow?" Moose aks.

"8. Why?" I ask, confused. Shouldn't Moose know this?

"Oh. We got a problem."

"Woah. No problem man. It's so close, we can't have a problem. We need you." I say.

"I know, man but I've got a test the same exact day." He tells me.

"Well, make it work. You're one of our lead dancers in this battle. You have to be there." I say, freaking out a bit.

"Alright. I'll try." Moose says.

"Okay, man. Oh and also, I need to talk to you after practice today so stay behind okay?" I ask.

"Why can't you tell me now?" He asks me, probably confused.

"It has to be in person." I tell him, before hanging up. I start heading back to the house for rehearsal and when I get there, it's already 6:00. We better get started. This dance needs to be perfect. After I feel like we've got everything nearly perfect, I ask Asha to stay behind. Luckily, Moose remembers to stay back too. Okay, here goes.

"Thanks for staying behind, guys." I say.

"What do you want, Luke?" Asha asks.

Asha's POV

Luke doesn't answer me straight away so I raise my eyebrows.

"Okay. So there's this move that I want you and Moose to do during the battle tomorrow. I would do it with me and Natalie but Moose would look better than me." Luke advises. Moose and I just look at each other.

"What? First you tell us that we can't date and now you want us to make up a move for a dance? It's like you're torturing me for your own personal amusement." I retort, flabbergasted.

"Well yeah. That's also what I wanted to talk to you about. You should be able to be together if you want to. That's not my call. I should have never told you off." Luke apologizes.

"Are you serious? Now you probably think that me and you are just gonna be back to normal? No. Natalie is my friend too. I didn't tell you not to date her did I? Me and you, we'll never be the same, Luke." I tell him.

"I know. I'll leave you two alone." Luke says as he walks out of the speaker room.

"So.. You want to get out of here?" Moose asks, turning to me. I turn to him, quite annoyed.

"No." I reply. "We need to get this move ready for tomorrow." I tell him.

"Well. Let's practice this move. I'm guessing we have to make it up ourselves?" Moose says. I sigh and roll my eyes but inside, I'm excited. After we've finished the move, we mess around for a bit.

"We are pretty good choreographers." Moose says.

"Well I don't know about me. But you are." I tell him.

"We did it together. We're both good." Moose says, grabbing my waist and pulling me towards him. He lets his hands fall down once I'm facing him. He leans in to kiss me and I take a deep breath. When his lips are nearly touching mine, I curve away. I can't do this. I walk out of the speaker room and to my bedroom. Just because Luke said we could be together, it doesn't mean it will happen straight away. I have a quick shower and go to bed. I need to be well rested for the battle tomorrow.