The room was dim when I walked out of the bathroom, lit only by a lamp. Lex was sitting at the foot of the bed, watching me expectantly.

There was a toxic mix of alcohol and adrenaline flooding my bloodstream. I pulled my hair to the top of my head, let it fall around my shoulders again.

"Come here," Lex held out a hand.

I stood just out of reach. "Make me," I grinned, dancing away from his grasp as he leaned forward, trying to catch me.

"This is not a game you want to play, little one," Lex beckoned me with one finger. "Come here."

"It will cost you," I teased.

"And what will it cost me?" Lex raised an eyebrow.

"One hundred million dollars." I folded my arms.

"Done."

My jaw dropped. In that second of inattention, Lex caught me by the wrist, pulling me to stand above him. His hand was tight, and I frowned, trying to twist free. "You can't give me one hundred million dollars."

"If that's what it costs to have you here," He pulled me forwards again, and I stumbled, catching myself with one hand on his shoulder. "Then I will give you the world."

He let my wrist go, and laughing, I collapsed onto the bed next to him, feet tucked under me.

    "Oh, come here." Lex cupped the back of my neck and kissed me, nearly knocking me over. "You're ridiculous when you're drunk." He said, steadying me.

    I kissed him again, pressing forwards, so we were chest to chest. The silky black fabric of his shirt was warm on my bare stomach. We were moving in synch, hands tangled in hair, balanced precariously on the edge of new, dangerous territory.

    Lex pulled back. "Your heart is racing."

    I put a hand to my chest, felt my own pulse in the back of my throat, bordering on painful. "I'm okay."

    "Promise me you're alright."

    "You worry too much."

    "I worry just the right amount." Lex traced a finger down my arm, and I shivered. "You have put me through the wars, baby. If I don't worry about you, who will?"

I flopped backwards onto the pillows. Lex laughed and turned, resting his weight on one arm. His hair tickled my face, and I pushed it away, tucking it behind his ear.

    "You," I tapped his nose, "Are a big sap."

    In a flash, Lex was overtop of me, face inches from mine. "I'm protective."

    "You're a sap."

    "And you're in no position to be teasing." Lex had me stuck underneath him, those deep eyes glimmering.

I giggled, and the tension in the room eased away. In one lithe movement, I slid from the bed, landing on my knees, chin and hands resting on the mattress. I was still drunk, every nerve in my body humming happily. The plush carpet dug into my injured knee, and I shifted forwards, looking up at Lex.

"What are you doing?" Lex asked.

"Admiring you." I quoted him.

    Lex sat up straight, looking at the clock next to the bed. It blinked just past midnight in red numbers. "It's too late for that. Come to bed."

    "Boo." I pouted, but climbed back onto the bed next to him.

"Will you sleep, or do I need to bribe you into that, too?"