Ch. 46: The Traitor

Start from the beginning

The brand on my neck throbs as it makes contact with the snow. Sometimes I still get a burning sensation from the mark. It's like a constant reminder that I fucked up. That I lost more than just Alex. I lost my family. I haven't seen Eleanor in forever. I wonder if she's disappointed with me right now. I haven't seen Blake either. Well, I have, but he would just ignore me in school. All the way up to graduation. Dom has visited me at least. He could barely hold a conversation before crying his eyes out, telling me how sorry he is.

I pull myself out of the snow and continue towards downtown. The city is alive with clubs and restaurants as people get drunk and bar hop. I enter a small, nondescript bar that only a few people know about.

The inside is dark with neon red lights and marijuana smoke filling up the air. I find a corner seat and take refuge in the small spot. I close my eyes and let the sounds in the room fill my ears. People are laughing and shrieking with delight as they dance and down drinks. All the chaos around me helps to soothe my mind. It's strange, but it works.

I feel someone push me over in my seat, so I open my eyes. Damien.

"Nikki, it's been awhile. I'm so glad to see your beautiful face tonight." Damien grabs me in his arms tightly and I stiffen under his touch.

"How many times have I told you not to call me that?" I mutter, pushing him off of me. "And it hasn't been that long, I saw you two nights ago."

Damien rolls his dark eyes. "Whatever, for me, it was an eternity."

I scoff. "Nice vampire pun, Damien, but you know why I'm here."

Damien puckers his lips together. "For some sweet loving?" He says suggestively, thrusting out his shoulders seductively.

I heave a sigh with a small smile on my lips. "No, I came to ask if you found out anything on Nyx's whereabouts."

Damien releases an exasperated breath. "Unfortunately, no, Nikki."

I clench my jaw, biting the inside of my cheek roughly. Three months ago we were so close to Nyx, but when we arrived at her hideout, she was already gone. How long is this game of cat and mouse going to drag on for?

Damien settles a hand on my cheek, bringing me back to the present. "You need to loosen up, Nikki. We'll find Nyx eventually. How about we play a little in the mean time?" He settles a soft whisper of a kiss on my lips.

I back away hesitantly. "Fine, but just a little."

Damien smiles coyly. "Even though you used to sleep with anyone in this little ol' bar. Now you're my toy."

~*~*~*~

He's right. When I returned to Uncle Joe's house, things were rough. I couldn't keep my head straight. I would be in school and have panic attacks and hallucinations that I couldn't get under control. Uncle Joe would beat me senseless for causing a commotion at school and making him look bad, so he would often lock me outside of the house just like tonight. On nights like those I would wander around the town for hours, trying to keep myself sane.

One night, I stumbled upon Damien in the street who thought I was "Hot, in a troubled way" and brought me here. A bar for wayward supernatural. One thing lead to another and I was hit on by many guys here. I'm ashamed to say I would sleep with anyone at that point. The body contact kept me grounded to the real world, while the pleasure was the only emotion I could feel besides fear.

Eventually, Damien got worried and started talking seriously with me, asking why I was acting like I was. I told him everything. He believed me and offered to help me. For a price.