Ch. 22: Nico Wakes Up

~Nico~

I'm stuck in my head. Every day I spend in the forest that I've created inside me. Sometimes, my mind will return to the hospital and I'll be able to hear Blake's or Alex's voice. They'll  tell me how the camp is going and how they are doing. When they told me about the battle between our pack and the rogue one, I felt nothing but anger. I couldn't even help my friends because I'm stuck in here.

"Nico," Noct chides, "pay attention."

I groan, "Noct, why do I have to continue to learn when I'm inside of my own head?"

"Because when you wake up and find that you've missed a bunch of school, you're going to need to make it all up."

"Then why are you also making me meditate and practice martial arts? How are those going to help me?"

"When you get out of here, your body will remember everything you've learned. So it will help you in the near future."

I sigh and write down the question in the textbook. Noct actually made me create textbooks. He's making me focus on math.

"I hate Algebra 2 and pre-cal!" I scream. My voice echoes through the forest. 

"I understand, but it has to be done."

"When will I ever use this?"

We continue to banter as we have for days. I never have to sleep in my brain, because my body is always doing that for me. That means nonstop learning. Noct and I are in the middle of a conversation when I hear another voice.

"Oh, that's Blake!" I exclaim. I close my eyes and focus on his voice.

I'm now sitting on my hospital bed. Blake is sitting in the chair beside me. He's wearing a winter jacket, scarf, and boots. It looks like he got a haircut recently, so it's short. He sighs and sits back.

"Hey, Nico," He says, "it's been awhile. It's finally December. Despite it being disgustingly cold for the last month, it finally snowed today."

He blows air into his hands, and he sniffles. "Alex is doing good too. He's been really busy with pack work ever since the fight. I think the alpha is training him to take over soon."

A silence settles over the room. Blake brushes a strand of hair out of the unconscious me's face. A sad expression is written on his face. "You're hair has gotten really long. I kind of wish your body would put all the energy into keeping up your weight instead. You've gotten so thin."

Now that he mentions it, my hair is shoulder length, and my body is skinny. I wonder if I'll ever be able to gain weight again. I wish I could wake up and tell him that I'm here. That his talks are getting through to me. I also want to see Alex and how he's changed. 

Closing my eyes, I focus on getting back into the forest.

"Noct! I want to wake up! I neeeed to wake up!" I shout.

"Why? What's wrong?" He inquires, suddenly on guard.

"I think it's time. Any longer, and I may die."

Noct is silent for a time. "OK. This is how you can do it. It's usually better to let yourself wake up naturally, but if you're in danger, we have no choice.

Noct explains to me how to wake up. "Close your eyes. Focus all your energy on waking up."

I lay down on the grass and do as he advises. My energy gathers into a hot ball and explodes all at once. I'm thrust from my head and back into my body. I don't think I've ever felt so nauseous in my life.

Blake stands up, "Well, I better get going, Nico. I hope you wake up soon."

My eyes flutter open. They feel as heavy as lead. My arm is almost skeletal as I reach out and grab Blakes coat. I tug on it lightly. He twists around suddenly, his eyes are wide.