CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Her fingers wanted to stretch out and touch the hood of the car

Her fingers wanted to stretch out and touch the hood of the car. Her ex boyfriend had been obsessed with James Dean, and loved bragging about his car to Danielle when they would scroll through YouTube. Seeing it in person felt calming, like he had found peace, and was watching over her right then and there. And although the car seemed perfect, there was still blood stains everywhere and a fragment of the windshield missing from Cal's incident. "So, what, this is, like, Christine?" Dean shook his head as he stared at the car in awe. Sam couldn't help but smile at the look on the two's faces. "Christine is fiction. This—" he turned to face his brother with a wide smile, "this is real."

          "Okay," Sam replied with a chuckle. Danny shoved her hands behind her back, tearing her eyes away from the blood resting against the surface. "Enlighten me." She watched as Dean examined the car closer, careful not to touch it. "Well after James Dean died, his mechanic bought the wreckage, and he fixed it up. And it repaid him by... falling on him." Danny sucked in a breath. Sam looked unconvinced. "And Tony McHenry was killed when it locked up on the racetrack." She brought her left hand back to her face, biting down on her thumb nail. The blood... It felt like it was trying to evoke memories she had been trying to fight back all day.

          "I mean, death follows this car around like exhaust. Nobody touches it and comes away in one piece." Sam smiled, nodding his head with raised brows. "Right." Danny felt her lips quirk into her own smile upon seeing Dean's reaction. "Basically, touch it and you—" She brought her arms up into an 'x', her head between her arms and tilted with her tongue poking out. She crossed her eyes as part of the joke, gaining a laugh from Sam beside her. Dean rolled his eyes, though he couldn't stop the smile crawling over his lips. "Cute. Funny, ha-ha," he said, his eyes focused on her. Her face burned as she blushed, wrapping her arms around her torso.

          "I'm telling you, man, if this—if this car is Little Bastard, I will bet you dollars to donuts it's what killed the guy." Sam eyed Dean. He was still not sure he was buying it. "So how do we find out?" he asked, crossing his arms over his chest. "Cal matched the VIN number, but the only real way to know is the engine number." Sam nodded for him to continue. "That's on," Danny began, her eyes widening as Dean finished her sentence. "On the engine, yeah."

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓