chérie gulped hard, drifting her attention to the cup in her lap. just wanted to visit family this year, you know with college and moving away, i felt like i was neglecting them, chérie easily lied, concentrating on the fading nail polish.

gina frowned, not expecting that answer. an answer that wasn't answering her question, nonetheless she changed the subject as she saw her brother coming her way.

oh right, chérie meet gregorio, greg, gina immediately stood up and smiled brightly at the older boy.

he had wavy brown hair that matched the color of his eyes. he had a weird nose, chérie wouldn't help but notice. a button nose, literally.

hi ? chérie blushed. she was always awkward when it came to meeting someone for the first time. the boy politely nodded his head as a reply.

that's my older brother, well step brother, he's kind of a mute, doesn't speak a lot, gina glanced back behind her when she heard amira calling for her.

mind keeping my phone with you, the girls are calling, she quickly gave her phone to gregorio, before taking the remaining drinks in her hands and bringing them to her friend.

chérie bite her lips nervously. it seemed that gina always managed to leave her in an uncomfortable position. she wiggled her legs around before going back to playing with her rings.

her back stiffened when she saw gregorio take the seat beside her. it was silent for a moment, if you didn't count the music and the sound of people talking. chérie expected him to speak but instead he stayed mute, just like how gina said.

gregario, uhh gregorio right ? her words that were meant to be loud and confident came out as a whisper.

she flickered her gaze on the side of his face and waited for a reply. greg, is fine his voice was deep but also sharp.

chérie blushed and was glad the lightning in the room was dark as red light brightened the walls of the room.

i didn't know gina's father got remarried or even had a stepmom, chérie cleared her throat hoping to make a conversation. it was new year meaning she had new set of resolutions she wasn't going to keep up. just like last year, and that year before.

making friends was the second on the list, right after getting over a broken heart.

gina's father married my dad actually, he nodded along the beat while he waited for her reaction with raised brows.

chérie seemed taken aback at first but quickly smiled when she saw him staring. oh that's great, i'm not against lgbt or anything, i mean both of my best friends are gay and lowkey fucking not that it's any of my business or should it imply that i'm not against gays because i'm friends with them, chérie merely closed her eyes in frustration at humiliating herself.

greg didn't seem to mind nor did he reply, instead he turned his gaze away from her and to the crowd dancing in sync.

there was a moment of silence, an awkward one. she thought about making a silent escape or excuse herself and proceed to scream at herself in the bathroom when he spoke up again.

have a new year kiss ? he didn't look at her yet and chérie was grateful that he didn't.

not really, she huffed, just when she didn't think about him, someone had to remind her.