Erin raised a hand to stop him. "It's fine Todd, I don't mind."

He looked relieved and reached across the table to take Erin's hand, cradling it in his big, warm one. "Thank you. Shall we?"

She had a million questions to ask, but Todd seemed really perturbed so she merely gathered up her purse while he paid the check. She resolutely kept her eyes averted as they passed Ethan's table, not wanting to participate in another round of angry insults. Though, she could feel his gaze, burning into her back, setting her skin on fire.

******

Thankful to be out in the cool evening air, Erin heaved a sigh of relief. Much as she tried to ignore Ethan, the man still managed to unsettle her in a very disturbing manner. She resolutely pushed thoughts of him out of her mind and turned to Todd.

Todd gave her an uncertain look "You know what, forget this. I'll drive you home, and then go to the hospital. There should be enough time."

"Don't be silly. There's life to be saved and all that." Erin laid a comforting hand on his arm. "Go on, I'll be fine."

"I can get you home." Erin froze at the voice behind her.

She whirled around, heart plummeting when she found Ethan and his companion standing behind them and she stifled a groan. What had she done to deserve this? She wondered, wishing the day would just end.

She really couldn't deal with Ethan for the fourth time in one day for fear her already frazzled nerves would snap. Damn the man, couldn't he leave her alone? And how come he was even standing here? When she'd passed his table, there had been no signs that dinner was even over and yet, here he was, shamelessly eavesdropping on her conversation.

"What?" Todd asked, looking startled at the intrusion.

Ethan shrugged broad shoulders, setting off a chain reaction of rippling muscles beneath his beige jacket. "I can drop Erin off home, there's no need to call a cab."

"No." She forced out between clenched teeth, aiming a glare at Ethan. His date didn't look too pleased at the suggestion either, judging from the scowl that crossed her face. "I'll be much more comfortable in a cab. Thank you for the offer, but it's not necessary."

The corner's of Ethan's mouth lifted in a grin, eyes glinting in amusement and Erin could clearly see the challenge in them.

"Don't be childish Erin. My apartment is only a few blocks from your hotel. Besides, you may have to wait a whole hour before a cab arrives and you could be home in that time."

He lived close to The Gosling? This was news to Erin who up until now hadn't the faintest idea where the slimy devil resided- not that she cared to know anyway. And how dare he accuse her of being childish? She opened her mouth to denounce him soundly but was cut short when Todd's pager went off again.

"Ah hell." Todd raked a hand through his hair and looked at Erin in exasperation, clearly eager to be off. "I really need to leave now Erin, I'm sorry. Look, to be honest, I'd feel safer if you went with him. That way I can rest easy knowing you're safe."

I will be safer in a taxi.

Erin grew steadily furious at how the situation was slipping out of control. Why was Todd so eager to throw her to the wolf when he was well aware of the tension simmering between she and Ethan all evening?

She shot him an angry look but he'd already turned away to take his keys from the valet who'd just pulled up with the BMW and she had to be content with glaring at his back.

"Scared I'll maul you Sweetcheeks?" Ethan's voice sounded so close to her ear that she jumped, startled to find him so close without being aware he'd moved.