He looked taken aback. "No-no, there's no need to apologize. I understand there's something on your mind tonight." He laughed, the sound putting her mind at ease.

At least he wasn't dumping her on their first date, Erin thought in relief. That would have sent her already fragile state of mind over the edge, and given her yet one more reason to despise Ethan.

"It's not?"

"Not at all. I just want to ask if you were free on Saturday."

"Oh." Nonplussed, Erin could only stare at him with a blank look. He was actually interested in her enough to ask for another date..there was a silver lining to the terrible evening after all. She would get a second date with Todd. "I guess I can make time, why?"

"A friend of mine's having a house warming party and I was wondering if you would like to accompany me?" Todd looked abashed, a look Erin found very endearing. "I know we've barely-" His words were cut off by a tiny persistent beep and he frowned and reached into his breast pocket, withdrawing his pager.

"Excuse me, I have to take this." He murmured the apology even as he rose and pulled out his cell phone.

"Of course."

Erin watched him walk away with quick strides, anxiety nipping at the edges of her nerves. What if it was the hospital calling because her father's condition had become critical? What if they had to bump up the surgery in order to save his life?

She reached for her purse, drawing out her cell and dialed her mother, fingerings beating out a rhythm as she waited for Victoria to answer the call.

"Hello?" Her mother sounded like she'd been asleep. That was a good sign. Erin thought, relief sweeping through her for the second time this evening. "Erin, is something the matter dear?"

"Hey mum, were you sleeping? Sorry to wake you but I just thought to check to see if dad's OK?"

"He's fine, just asleep." Her mother's tone changed from sleepy to curious. "But, are you alright darling? You sound strained."

Erin stifled a groan, suddenly wishing she had not made the call. Trust her mother to pick up on her mood over the phone. "I'm fine mother, I'm just having dinner is all."

Victoria's voice perked up as it always did at the mention of Erin's social life. "How nice dear. Have you and Luke patched things up?"

"No, it's not Luke- it's someone else." The silence at the other end of the line spoke volumes. Her mother disapproved of her dating someone else so soon after breaking up with her boyfriend.

"Really Erin, isn't this a tad too soon? You have only been single for..."

"Mum, I really have to go now." Erin cut in before her mother could gather steam. She really didn't fancy a lecture tonight of all nights. "I'll come to the hospital in the morning and we can talk then."

She spotted Todd weaving his way back to their table, a look of concern written clearly over his face "Good night mum."

"Good night darling." The call ended and Erin slipped her phone back into her purse just as Todd reached their table.

"Hey. What's wrong?" She asked, as he slid back in his seat.

Todd ran a hand through his hair and looked troubled. "That was the hospital Erin- I'm really sorry but I have to go now. There's been an huge accident and they're calling in all available personnel."

Erin nodded. "Sure, OK."

"Listen. I know this is incredibly rude of me but could I call you a cab to take you home? I would but..."