FIVE

┏━━━━━━༻⚜༺━━━━━━┓

┏━━━━━━༻⚜༺━━━━━━┓

Weeks turned to months. And the unusual pair found comfort in one another, despite the fiery dimension that made up their surroundings. Ariella hadn't quite realised how lonely she had been until Laurence had found his way into her life. Sure, she hadn't been alone. She had Sasha and Vylad and anyone else who had the gall to approach her. But it wasn't the same. They had all given in to the power the Shadow Lord had bestowed upon them. Even if Vylad had confided that he regretted his actions heavily. They didn't understand her fight like Laurence did. How difficult it really was to hold onto the remaining humanity they had.

It had become rare to see one without the other, despite how much they would argue that they did, in fact, spend time apart, thank you very much. They would often go on long hiking trips, through the Nether, camping for days at a time. Anything to get away from the terrible fortress they had been forced to call home. And when they returned, they'd spend the days cooped up in Ariella's room, only emerging for food.

When Ariella had felt comfortable enough, she had shown Laurence her parents' book. And while he didn't worship Lady Irene as many others did, he couldn't bear to watch her excitement dwindle, so he had kept his thoughts to himself. Instead, they had developed the habit of curling up together in Ariella's little nest of a corner while Laurence read a story aloud. When it was over, they'd attempt to sleep. Sometimes it would come, sometimes it would not. But it helped them feel better. Like they were normal. Like they were home.

Currently, the two could be found by the highest balcony present on the Nether Fortress. While Ariella sat on the floor with her back against the railings, Laurence was standing with his arms hanging over the bannister as he watched the Shadow Knights below training.

The two were waiting for access to the highest security cell in the Fortress. The cell in which Vylad had been placed after his betrayal at the portal. For some reason, Laurence wanted to speak with the man, and Ariella had no right to tell him otherwise.

Ariella reached over to tap the orange-haired man's leg a few times, grabbing his attention as Sasha came sauntering out from Vylad's cell, her long white hair swaying with her hips as she approached. Laurence froze a little at the sight of her. He'd caught sight of her a few times during those months in the Nether, and he knew what it took to become a Shadow Knight, but it still didn't make it any easier to see someone he had previously watched die.

"Hey, new guy." She purred at him, a sly smirk on her face as she watched the look of disgust crawl its way onto Ariella's face, "Don't feel bad. Before you know it, you'll have forgotten all about your old life." She giggled theatrically at the fear that crept into Laurence's eyes at the prospect.