Chapter 27: Wake Up Call

Start from the beginning

The huge hyena tilted its head and gave a gruff cackling bark, but Arron wasn't quite sure if that meant play with me or I need some kitty floss. Thankfully, Tayn jumped in quickly and mirrored his little bow with one of his own, adding a playful snort for good measure.

Larro was clearly hesitant to play with the other hyena when the little cheetah was just beyond his paws' reach, but after Arron gave another awkward play-bow Larro dropped to his four paws and snorted. Okay, I guess that's the best I'm going to get.

Play with him. That's his signal, do it quickly or he'll start getting nippy. Also, don't freak out if he starts snarling when he runs, he gets really into it but he should be okay. The snort is his hyena asking to play.

Ah. Hopefully this doesn't end badly.

With a quiet mew Arron crept toward the edge of the counter and swatted at Larro's mohawk with his right paw. It snorted again and ran in a circle out in the main bedroom, then stopped and hopped up to lick a huge line from Arron's jaw to his eyes.

Gross.

Arron smacked him in the nose when he started biting at his paws, but knew that he was just trying to get him down so that they could play together. Arron glanced sideways at Tayn, who gave a snort of his own for encouragement.

Come down. He thought into Arron's mind.

His kitten steeled itself, then jumped to the floor right next to Larro's giant hyena. The huge canine cackled and began nudging him around before he could even get his balance back.

You can play rough with him. He'll push you around for hours if you let him.

Okay. I'll try.

Arron wasn't much for playing rough, or really playing much, since he grew up as an only child, but he was game to give it a try. He could feel his heart swell a little in his chest when he was able to respond to Tayn mentally. However, a certain larger hyena was still trying to roll him around the floor, making Arron grumble. Giving a loud mew as if he'd been hurt, he watched as Larro's animal took a step back, not quite sure he'd just done to hurt him so badly.

Arron had faked getting hurt to give himself a chance to strike back! He pounced on the confused-looking hyena, tugging at its face with little teeth. When Larro and him got into the wrestling and chasing Tayn backed off to just watch out of the way. It was obvious that Larro wasn't used to dealing with smaller animals in his hyena form but he was doing a decent job of not hitting Arron too hard or stepping on him by mistake.

He hasn't shifted since he was released two years ago. He was too afraid he'd lose control again. Tayn thought to him.

Two years?

Yes, that's probably why it finally wore him down enough to come out this morning, but he's doing really well with you. Just wear him out.

Arron didn't mind playing with Larro at all, and he still had a ton of energy left over once he'd fully woken up. His cheetah bounded around the room for a good hour with him before they finally collapsed onto the messy bed, panting heavily against each other.

...nmi.

Huh?

That wasn't Tayn. He just went to take a shower.

Arron glanced over at Pask, who was dozing on the window seat. He was definitely out cold.

...as.

I don't understand. Arron thought.

He took one more glance around the room before looking up. Larro was looking down at him, his hyena seemingly trying to focus on something as it panted in a sitting position.