Chapter 27: Wake Up Call

(Another picture I liked enough to keep. Paskal :D One hyena that manages to somewhat style his hair lol)

The sounds of growling and cackling began to wake Arron up far too early for his liking.

"Noisy."

A cold, wet nose nudged at his cheek before one of the hyena's gave a shrill laugh.

Too loud in the morning!

He turned onto his side to try and hide his head beneath the pillow, but when he felt something furry brush again his nose he forced his eyes to open.

Wait, are those claws?

Something wet dripped onto his chin, drawing his attention up toward a very angry looking, oh shit.

"Larro?" He asked, his voice a worried whisper.

The huge hyena slowly pealed its upper lip back, baring a very well taken-care-of set of extremely sharp teeth.

Oh my, what nice teeth you have?

Arron quickly chanced a glance to his right, seeing Pask and Tayn in their animal forms. Tayn had his one gold earring on his left ear, making them easy to tell apart.

Okay, this has to be Larro. I remember Pask wasn't much bigger than Tayn before.

The huge hyena standing over him twitched its ears and snarled, drawing a cackle from Pask and a snarl from Tayn. Arron could tell that something was wrong with Larro and that he should stay still and not provoke his hyena, but his inner cheetah was already starting to take over his senses.

As he fought to hold back his own animal, Arron could see Tayn trying to slowly get Larro to back off of him, but he was just too late to stop the chain of events that were going to occur.

Suddenly, he was in his cheetah form and Larro was lunging for his throat. Arron mewed loudly before jumping out of the way and bolting off the bed. Larro was quick to follow, even with Tayn trying to cut him off. At first Arron tried to hide under the bed, but there was some type of box spring beneath it that prevented him from going far enough under to be safe. So, his kitten narrowly dodged a swipe from Larro's paw and hopped up onto the counter in the bathroom. He quickly squeezed himself into a corner between the back mirror and the hair dryer on the wall.

Larro could easily reach him and did so several times, smacking him in the face and front legs. His claws scratched him a few good times but Arron swatted at his paw to keep from getting the worst of it.

Spots, pretend like you want to play with him.

Huh? Who are you? He definitely didn't recognize that thought voice.

Calm down and focus. The doctors at his rehab said that was the way to get through to his hyena. Try to act playful instead of scared. He's a predator and you're acting like prey.

He realized after a few seconds that the new voice in his head was Tayn. He was shocked that the young man thought of him as family, and that his cheetah actually allowed him to talk in his mind, but he really didn't have time to dwell on that right then.

Not now, Spots! Just do it or we're going to have to attack him.

A particularly hard thump on the head from one of Larro's heavy paws had Arron shaking his head and deciding to just try what Tayn had suggested. He didn't really see how playing with him was going to snap him out of his hyena's control or keep himself alive, but it was the best shot he had. So, with a hesitant mew, Arron dropped to his belly and wiggled his fuzzy backside in the air just slightly.