26

"Don't go getting all emotional on me," Tony warned teasingly. "Get changed." Estrial smiled up at Tony, but as she turned to leave, he shouted, "oh, also!" She jumped at the sound, turning back toward him. "A lot of people are gonna be here tonight, and a lot of them don't know what you are yet," he told her in a more serious tone, "if anyone asks, it's your choice if you wanna tell them or not."

Taking a step closer to Estrial, Tony sighed and placed a hand on her shoulder. "But you're one of us now," he assured with a smile, "no one's gonna drag you off to do experiments if you tell the truth; we won't let that happen."

"One of you.." Estrial spoke in awe. She'd never been part of something so big before. It felt amazing to formally be given a place among such a unique set of people. And it gave her a boost of confidence that she never knew was possible. But being part of something made going to this party seem a bit less scary.

• • •

Loki was leaning back against a wall, arms crossed, one foot propped back against the wall. He was watching from the shadows of a farther corner as people began to filter into the festively decorated room. Most of these people were of SHIELD and once tried to kill him. But then again, he also tried to kill them; successfully, in some cases. Needless to say, it was going to be an awkward night. He wished Estrial hadn't agreed to join the gathering. That way, he could've spent the night with her only, reading together or showing off his magic in secret.

Natasha was stationed at the bar not too far from where Loki sulked. Noticing his irritable mood, she got out too glasses and poured some white wine into each. "Someone looks upset," she called his way, earning his attention.

Loki walked over to the bar. "You would be, too," he retorted, "in a room of people who want you dead, with your only means of defense stripped away." He refered to the cuffs on his wrists.

Handing Loki a glass, Natasha smirked. "Sounds like a fun challenge," she admitted. When the demigod only glared at her, she sighed. "Where's your star?" She wondered, changing the subject.

"Stark wanted to see her alone," Loki responded in a voice of controlled annoyance, "that was almost an hour ago."

Natasha nodded, her smirk growing a bit. She looked Loki up and down before complimenting, "you look nice...but I doubt you dressed up just for the party."

Loki was slightly caught off guard

Loki was slightly caught off guard. Natasha was right; he couldn't care less what these strangers thought of him. But Estrial. He didn't even want to admit to himself that he'd dressed a bit nicer just for her. "Is it a crime to have a good sense of fashion?" Loki asked defensively.

The woman only raised her eyebrows and turned away, leaving him with a knowing grin on her lips. Loki sighed and sipped his wine, waiting for Estrial's arrival. It wasn't long before he spotted Tony coming his way. "She's coming," he stated before Loki could even ask.

Loki, again, was caught off guard. He silently cursed himself for letting these mortals be able to read him so easily. But he didn't let that bother him in that moment. "What have you been doing with her for the past hour?" Loki wondered in a slightly hostile tone.

"Wanted to give her a little something for tonight," Tony explained with a crooked smile, "..guess it's also kinda for you."

Loki raised an eyebrow. Tony had gotten him something? He didn't believe it and, therefore, was highly suspicious of what he'd actually given Estrial. The rich man had to be teasing him in some way.

All of his questions were answered when he spotted the glowing girl enter the open room. Estrial. She wasn't in her usual suit, but a dress that sparkled with her in just the same way. Loki was unable to speak for a moment as he watched her timidly look around for anyone that she knew. He was only pulled from his thoughts by a firm clap on the shoulder from Tony. "You're welcome," he muttered cheekily to the demigod, then walked away proudly.

Loki rolled his eyes, but left it at that. He wasn't going to let Tony Stark ruin his entire night just because of a suggestive comment. A smile pulling at his lips, he left his station in the corner away from the crowds to meet Estrial. In the dimmed glow of Christmas lights that lit up the room, Estrial was about half transparent. She was absolutely breathtaking, with her short white hair combed delicately with a bit of fluffiness to it, suggesting that it was recently washed.

And he wasn't the only one taken away by her appearance. Everyone who saw her did double takes, stared, and some even cowered away. It made sense, since nobody knew who or what she was. But in a tower full of unhuman being, what did they expect?

By the time Loki reached her, she still hadn't noticed him. Taking this opportunity, Loki tapped her gently on the shoulder. When she turned to see who was trying to get her attention, he moved to stay behind her, trying to contain his laughter. He did this one more time, amused by her innocent, curious gaze. Finally, he rested his hands on her shoulders from behind.

Estrial jumped slightly under his touch, but smiled as she recognized the icy feel. Loki leaned down slightly and whispered sweetly into her ear, "you look gorgeous, Essy."

The art about was created by EarthyRainbow_death !! Do not repost their art without their permission! Thank you again so much for this beautiful piece!! ♡