CHAPTER SEVEN: SPECIMEN

Začať od začiatku

“You killed it,” Tristan replied.

“I have no idea how I did it. Venom doesn’t make sense because the lady from – God was it just yesterday? Well, she didn’t seem affected when I painted her face with venom.” Skye walked over the robot and made her way to the bedside table. She pulled out the envelope she had placed there and slipped it back into its original position; between her jeans hem and her stomach. Tristan sat down beside the robot and tried to peek inside the body using the hotel’s pen to lift the wires that Skye had pulled out.

“I know someone who is really good with this stuff.” He slowly began as Skye began to comb through her bird’s nest of a hair with her fingers.

“You sure they are alive?” she muttered.

“Nope.” Tristan shook his head. “Who do you plan on showing this to?”

“We’ll take it to Loupe and then figure something out,” Skye replied.

Tristan nodded. “Bas doesn’t seem to like the robot very much.”

Skye saw Basilisk curled up in a corner of the room opposite end to the robot, his head lying low. She walked to him and picked him up. “Can’t blame him.”

Basilisk curled against her tighter at the sound of a knock on the door. Skye gave Tristan a glance before opening the door. The timid maid stood behind the door with car keys in her hand. Skye opened the door wide to let her in. The maid walked in slowly, her eyes at her feet, wide and unblinking. “You can leave right now. You don’t have to pay for the room. I’ll take care of it.”

Tristan’s eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. “Why should we trust you?”

Skye leaned on the wall and waited for the maid to respond. The maid glanced around nervously around the room and her gaze landed on Basilisk curled around Skye’s shoulder.

“Because your mom saved mine during the great war.” She replied as she looked up at Skye. “I owe you one.”

Tristan looked up at her clearly waiting for her decision. There were rumours that went around during the early days after the end of the war about her mother and a bunch of other villains. Her mom had saved more people during the war than all the heroes combined. Unsurprisingly the government buried all the rumours and changed all the stats.

But it looked like the people remembered.

“What’s your name?” Skye asked her.

“Jamie Wolf, Ms Bentley.”

Skye could see Tristan smirk at her fake naming skills. Skye gave her a slight nod ignoring Tristan. “Tell me, Jamie, if you were to go missing...who would notice?”

Jamie’s face turned white as chalk as she gulped visibly. She replied, her voice quiet and wavering, “No one.”

Skye nodded slowly as she noticed Tristan was stifling a laugh. “What?”

“She thinks you’re going to kill her.” Tristan blurted. Skye turned to the freaked out maid.

“I’m not going to kill you,” Skye said slowly, stressing on the words. Skye paused as she rethought her next sentence. “Somebody hits you. You get abused, right?”

Jamie stared at her feet with her mouth slightly apart. “How?”

“You flinch every time I move my hand. You stand to the corner and stare at your feet very often. You can’t keep eye contact and your extremely still even though you have ADHD.”

Jamie’s head shot up.

“The last one was a guess but your expression tells me I’m right,” Skye said. Jamie looked back down at her feet. Skye sighed and glanced at Tristan, who understood her look and got off the bed, still limping. Skye never could make people feel better. The whole it-will-get better or the whole you-will-do-great or I-am-here-for-you shebang didn’t really work for her. Skye was someone who will tell you what deep down you really needed to hear but it sure as hell wouldn’t make you feel any better.

Tristan placed his hand lightly on Jamie’s shoulder. She flinched a bit at first but then ended up hugging him. Skye pressed her lips together as she sat there awkwardly.

Jamie pulled away from the hug but Tristan’s arm was still over her shoulder. She turned to look at Skye. “The car isn’t the owner’s. It’s mine so you don’t have to worry about the cops coming after you.”

Skye looked at Tristan and it was clear they were thinking the same thing. Well, Skye decided that they were cause she wasn’t going to change her mind.

“Wolf?”

Jamie looked up at Skye.

“How would you like to visit Rackror?”

War against WICKED got featured in the Wattpad Superhero profile!!!

Hope you liked it!
Vote and comment :)