Little Do You Know

Beth pulled up into the dark playground seeing Rio and a few of his men waiting there. "Are you coming with me?"

"The deal was to come to the drop I am here," Beth huffed walking out the car, grabbing the bag. You watched as Beth met up Rio, handing him the bag. His eyes flicked up, seeing you in the car.

"I dont bite, I promise," He shouted. You didn't dare move from the car, but it wasn't till you saw Beth walk to you again did you groan.

"I promise it'll be quick," You got out of the car walking to him, Beth following behind you.

"She's here can we talk now," Beth answered, but Rio continued glancing at you.

"Im only talking to the person who got me my money," He glanced down to your hand again seeing the empty ring finger. "fantasy life not working for you." You crossed your arms, covering your hands. How he always manages to notice everything frustrated you.

"I just realized a few things, is all," He smirked, handing the bag to his men who walked away from you two, Beth following them making sure no money disappears.

"You her bodyguard now?"

"She liked having someone that can compare to you," He smiled at you.

"Is that so?"

"I would say better but I dont want to undermine" You waved your hand around him. "that."

"So what did he do?"

"Nothing important," You were already hitting the realization that things won't be the same. But Rio must have sensed something in your voice because he was going to say something until his men interrupted him.

They guys came back up, nodding their head to Rio. "I'll see you, ladies, again, yeah?" He headed to his car as we did ours.
===
You stepped outside Beth's house, savoring the silence. Beth had her kids home and she was focusing on them, so you didn't think she'd notice your absence. It was already fully dark, no one in the streets to spy on you or notice.

You sat down her steps, wrapping yourself to warm you. "What are you doing here?" Rio tried sneaking in, but you had heard him already.

"Made sure you don't run away again," He sat next to you, his heat radiating from him. Runaway sounds so disgusting.

"I notice a lot of things, but you knew that already," Not everything was phenomenal, but this was your home now, no need to leave.

"Rio, I'm not leaving," You were tired and you didn't want to argue. "But once we finish, you're done with us. Forget we exist," He shook his head, not accepting that.

"why are you like that," He asked you as he got up.

"like what?"

"One minute, it was like old times and the next you close off,"

"Rio," You've thought about telling him, but every time you stared at your phone, you've changed your mind.

"Do you know what it was like, you leaving us?"

"Stop." You felt your throat swell up as you tried fighting the tears.

"I was scared that something happened to you, your grandma was worried sick" He shouted. He laughed rubbing his face, "turned out that you left for your own selfish reason."You launched up, hitting him in the chest.

"Fuck you," You hit him again, letting the tears loose. "You dont know jack shit,"

"Then tell me,"

"I was pregnant" You felt lightheaded, you've been holding on to the secret for so many years that, you felt the weight escape you when you blurted it out.

Rio froze at the same time that Beth opened the door. You walked away from him, going inside.

"Wait." Beth stopped him before he could follow you inside the house.

"My children are home, she's not ready to fight and nor are you." She told him, closing the door on him.

---

He followed the path as best he could from memory. He had almost lost hope until he saw the opening in the distance. You were sitting down.
"I left because I had to, not because I wanted to," You were too tired to fight, you just stayed sitting down, staring off at the distance.

"why did you leave though?" Rio never admitted it because it hurt him too much, but he was devastated that you left.

You wiped the tears, looking up at him, "My grandma wasn't gonna make it as long as she thought she had to care for me at the house," She was always stubborn and made a promise to your mom that she'd care for you. But you were trying to do what was best for her too. "I was 16 and pregnant." When you had found out, it was the cherry on top of the shitty deck of cards played to you.

"We coulda done it together," You chuckled.

"You were doing so good, you were in school, you had you're future planned adding a pregnant girlfriend would ruin that," You remembered he wanted to go into business.

"You don't know that." He tried reasoning, but you knew he was lying.

You turned to him, "Look me in the eye and tell me you wouldn't join the gang for that baby" Rio knew that as soon as the baby was born, he would do anything to protect him. "I didn't know me leaving, affected so much."

"Did you have him?" You touched your belly, remembering the night.

"Turns out running away and trying to find a home for him was too much stress," A wave of emotion rushed over you, causing a flood of tears. "I had caused too much pain, I didn't think it was fair to come back," He moved so that he was behind you, pulling you close to him.

You finally broke down, after so many days of trying to be strong, you realized that you didn't have to with him. "I'm so sorry," You managed to say between the tears. His only response was to shush you.

"Im sorry, you had no one to be there with you,"