When We Were Young

The kid beside you raised his hand in the air, wiggling it to catch the teacher attention. "y/n" and yet the teacher chooses you. "What do you think?" He waited for your response but you were clueless to this subject.

"Well since my hands wasn't up someone would think that means they dont know the answer," The teacher walked to his desk writing down a detention slip.

"You will get nowhere in life with knowing nothing but hey I've heard the drug business is booming," The whole class erupted into laughter, which only made you bury yourself deeper into your chair.

The remainder of class you stayed watching the clock letting your nails to tap in the same beat as the clock. "Dont forget detention tomorrow," He told you before you could dodge out of the room. You sprinted to the back of the school; slowing down when you felt far enough from this hell hole.

It wasn't until your eyes landed on him that you felt at peace. You hugged him pulling him flush against you inhaling his clone. "I missed you," He whispered into your ear sending shivers down your spine and causing butterflies.

"I missed you too," You gave Rio a kiss putting your hand on his chest as he leaned against his car. "Today has been rough." You breathed still touching foreheads.

Rio stayed quiet for a moment looking at you before speaking up. "Im taking you somewhere," You smiled asking where but he just remained quiet forcing you to enter the car.

It wasn't till he pulled up by the park's gate that you realized he took you to his spot. Both of you got out of the car as he reached out his hand for you to grab. You followed him down a path, which led to an opening.

"So this is where you come when we fight," Rio laughed taking off his backpack off to put it on the floor.

"Shut up and come here," You grinned sitting down in front of him letting yourself rest against his chest, his breathing soothing you. "I come here to forget about the world and forget about the problems we can't control" You stared at the view zoning out.

"mama I know something is bothering you," he put his finger under your chin making you look at him. "you can tell me," He kissed your forehead which made you intake your breath.

"Do you ever feel like things are happening way too fast and you just want it to stop?" You admitted.

"Sometimes," Rio pulled you more into him wrapping his arms around you. "But I have you to make it stop," You knew that was the perfect answer but it wasn't the answer you needed. "Is this about your grandma?" You shook your head regretting even just mentioning it.

"Im fine I promise its just school," You lied hoping it deter him from asking more questions. You turned around kneeling in front of Rio. "nothing to be worried," For the rest of the hour, you two stayed silent. You were still battling with yourself.

--

Once Rio pulled in front of your house you didn't want to leave. "What are you doing after this,"

"Me and some of the guys I think are gonna go to Roscoes," You tensed up as he mentioned that guys name. He was part of the gang that invites new members.

"I promise you that I will not join them when I have you" You wanted to believe him. He was the love of your life and you didn't know what to do without him but your head kept pestering you. "I'll see you tomorrow, I love you" He gave you another kiss massaging your cheek with his hand, savored those lips resting your hands on his cheek.

"I love you," You left getting out of the car before going inside your house.

You dropped your stuff off at the front before going to your grandma's room. "How are you doing Abue," She lifted her mask coughing up build up mucus before smiling at you.

"Mija im doing great" She erupted into more coughs, which made you sit next to her to help her put her mask back on.

"The doctor told you to keep it on" She resisted until she realized it was best for it to stay on. "Why dont you stay in the hospital, they told you it was better for you," She shook her head removing the mask.

"no no, while you are here I'm gonna be here"You pushed her hair to the side smiling at her.

"Te Quiero Abuelita" You gave her a kiss on the cheek putting her mask back on. She circled her chest where her heart was before pointing back at you.

You closed the door behind you letting the tears fall, as soon as you felt no one was watching.

---

As the darkness filled the sky, you ducked grabbing the bag under your bed. You stood rereading the note calling your grandmother to be transferred to the medical facility as her caregiver. There was no other choice.

As you put your phone down against your dresser; you saw the picture of you and Rio resting against the dresser. It was summer and you wanted Rio to take a picture with you. You managed to convince one of your friends to take the picture. You hopped on his back giving him a kiss as she snapped the picture.

You have to do what's best for both of you and this was the only way. "Im sorry" Your voice hoarse. You left your room trying to be as silent as you could not wanting to alert your grandma.

In accordance to their being a new episode today here's chapter 3