Chapter Four: Everything Changes

Eddmina wasn't entirely sure as to when her father told her other siblings about the impending Tyrell visit, but she knew he'd not mentioned her upcoming betrothal to any of them. If he had, Winterfell would have been in chaos. No, Eddmina knew that her match with Willas Tyrell was a secret that existed only between herself, her father, her mother, the maester, and the Tyrells themselves. 

Except Eddmina didn't like keeping secrets from her siblings, especially her brothers. Secrets, to her, were just like lying, and she hated liars. She knew that she needed to tell Robb and Jon about it all before the Tyrells got to Winterfell, as they'd soon see through the visit for it's true purpose, and she knew that she had to tell Theon most of all. 

She wondered how they'd react. They all knew it would come at some point, but it didn't mean they had to like it. Eddmina was extremely close to the three of them, and she knew that if the thought of leaving them hurt her, it would be just as bad for them. 

Especially Theon. She had no idea what his reaction would be. She'd come to accept it, that whatever was between her and her father's ward had to come to an end, and all she could do was hope that Theon would accept it too. They were never official, she knew he always used to go straight to the brothels after his visits to her to get out any frustrations she left him with, so he had other options, unlike Eddmina. All she had was her husband, and that might not be for years. 

Either way, she needed to tell Theon first, before her brothers, and that was how she found herself welcoming Theon into her chambers for the last time, the boy immediately moving to kiss her as if nothing had changed. 

"I need to talk to you," Eddmina said quietly, putting her hand on Theon's chest gently, pushing him away before he could kiss her. 

"What is it?" he asked seriously, seeing her face, knowing whatever it was wasn't a joke. 

"We can't do this anymore," she told him bluntly. He immediately dropped his hands from her waist, stepping away. 

"Why not?" Theon asked, sounding almost demanding. 

He didn't like rejection, especially from someone he cared about so much. Ever since they had been twelve, he'd seen Eddmina in a different light. The two had always been close, ever since he first came to Winterfell, and when they were fourteen and first began fooling around with each other, it was as if, to him, their relationship had become what it always should have been. Theon liked visiting Eddmina, even more than he liked visiting his 'other' women, and to hear that she wanted to call it off, Theon couldn't quite wrap his head around it. 

"Because I have to go and get married soon," she told him, looking at the floor. Eddmina never looked at the floor, Theon knew. She always looked people in the eye. 

"You're lying," he said, though he knew she never lied. He knew it was the truth, just didn't want ot believe it. "Edda, please, tell me you're lying," 

"Why do you think the Tyrells are coming to visit?" she asked him, using her tone to make him feel stupid, as if he should have seen it coming. "They want me to marry the eldest, Willas," 

"Willas Tyrell?" Theon exclaimed, almost angrily. Maybe if she was becoming betrothed so someone he'd never heard of before he might feel better, but he' heard that man's name before, and he'd heard the stories about him. "Willas fucking Tyrell? He's ten years older than you, not to mention a cripple! That's who your father has chosen?" 

"Don't call him that," Eddmina snapped firmly, meeting his eye at last. 

"Why, defending him already? Already playing the role of his good lady wife?" Theon teased almost maliciously.