“Well then how could he tell?” I demanded.

She smiled and shook her head once more. “You’ll learn, in time.”

I nodded. “What…No why…”

She smiled. “It’s okay; you can talk to me Annika. I’m your mother. If we don’t trust each other then you may as well go back.”

I groaned. “How come you never wrote me or my father? How come you just completely left our lives?”

She lifted a finger and smiled the same wry smile. “No, if you want to be technical about it, it was your father that relocated. Not I.”

I blinked at her. “Are you amused by this?”

She smiled a little more. “Quite, your father loved it. I know you’re the same as me, don’t deny it. If you want to laugh, go ahead.”

It was strange but my lips turned up in a small smile. I wiped it off. “I can’t. Do you even know what happened? Do you care?”

She nodded once, her head bowed. “I figured the only reason you would be here is because he had to go. I’m so sorry Annika.”

“Did you even love him at all? How are you not fazed by this?” I asked her feeling quite defensive.

There it was again, the smile. “Of course I did, I still do. But you forget I’ve had fifteen years to mourn. I know it’s not what you really want to hear but I feel better now he’s gone. Now I know there’s no way I’ll ever see him again. I can stop holding on.”

I smiled sadly and shrugged. “At least one person is happy about it.”

She gaped and shook her head. “Oh god no, let’s get one thing straight, I’m not happy he’s dead I’m happy to see you here alive and well. I wish he had driven you here himself but…”

“Well he still loved you too. I could see it in his eyes. The diary just made it definite.” I told her. “He never really let you go either. Which is what I don’t understand, why didn’t you just stay together?”

She smiled and shook her head. “It’s okay; you don’t know enough to be able to understand. You see, being born into my family. It’s a curse. A terrible curse and I thought that if I distanced myself from you that maybe you’d luck out and avoid it but some things are inevitable.”

I sighed. “Like death.”

She pointed at me and sipped at her tea some more. “Now that is another thing you need to learn. Death is not inevitable. Not in this town.”

“Well surely it’s impossible to live forever.” I told her.

She smirked and shrugged. “I think you know deep down that that isn’t true my dear. Have you done your research or not?”