9: Unhappiness and Relatives

Was it sorrow from the hopeless state of the marriage?

But when the Madam and Master passed, the young miss did not wear such an expression.

In a blink, Miss Jun’s sad expression had disappeared, and she once again became calm.

“Enough now, do not speak nonsense,” she said, her voice warm. “I said that it had ended. The Ning Family does not want the marriage, and neither do I. Now that I have the money, it is all in the past. They do not owe us anything, and we are not lacking either.”

The little maidservant trembled with fear. She carefully looked at Miss Jun’s expression and convinced herself that she was just seeing things. Miss Jun must definitely be sad without the marriage. As a good maid, she should not complain and throw salt onto the young miss’ wounds. So, she nodded her head and didn’t speak of anything related to the marriage again.

“Let’s go,” said Miss Jun to her with a smile, turning to leave.

The little servant girl hurried to catch up. She had only walked a few steps before she could not help but open her mouth again.

“Young Miss, are we going to the capital now, or are we going to visit the Fang Family first?” she asked carefully.

Miss Jun stopped moving.

“The Fang Family.” She repeated those words, like she was recalling something that was familiar.

“I thought before that we could quickly marry out of the house and never have anything to do with them for the rest of our lives. So, we never cared about whether they liked us or not,” said the little girl cautiously and with a face full of anxiousness. “Right now, if they knew that you didn’t have a marriage with the Ning Family anymore, I don’t know how they will treat Young Miss.”

“We will know soon,” said Miss Jun.

Soon? The young girl was stunned. When she saw where Miss Jun’s line of sight was directed, she could not help but look too. She saw two carriages escorting multiple people speeding along. The carriage curtains were opened, and an old lady was looking at them.

“Old Lady!” the little servant girl blurted out.

The carriage stopped in front of them. The old lady did not wait for the maidservants to help her out and descended from the carriage herself. She walked straight up to Miss Jun.

Miss Jun sized her up.

This old lady was around sixty years old. She had a square face and was wearing a gold embroidered beizi [1] with a horse-face skirt [2]. Her grey streaked hair was adorned with a golden chrysanthemum hairpin. It was inlaid with green jade that looked like it was twinkling. The woman exuded an aura of lavishness.

This was Old Lady Fang, Miss Jun’s maternal grandmother.

Old Lady Fang had had two children, son and a daughter, but both of them had died. Right now, her facial expression was solemn and her gaze sharp, with an incomparably intimidating aura. She did not have the sadness of someone who’s seen two children die. And neither did she have the sympathy or affection of someone looking at her dead daughter’s orphan.

“I heard you hanged yourself?” asked the old lady slowly, as she looked at her.

Beiliu Town was about half a day from Yangcheng by carriage. When Miss Jun had come up with a plan to hang herself and then be saved, the young servant girl had immediately asked for a message to be sent to Yangcheng. However, she had never thought that the hanging would be so lifelike and would scare her so much that she forgot about all the messengers. And after, upon waking up, Miss Jun had said she would resolve the problem by herself, so the young servant girl hadn’t notified the Fang family.