Chapter 6: Self Defense or...maybe not?

Alex and I held our breaths. We were afraid to even let out a little bit of air or any noises because we didn't know who or what that thing was. It could be another person or something completely different. Anyway, we didn't want to meet it. Looking at Alex, we both seemed to be in agreement that we would wait this out a little longer. 

The thing sounded like it was big and that it was unhappy about us being here. Now, it could very well be something like a human but the footsteps didn't sound like they were made by a man. No man walks that heavily. Unless they wear big boots. I remembered how much sound Venessa's old boots made when she would walk around the house in them. 

Eventually, there was complete silence. Nothing was heard walking nor were any screams being made. I glanced at my friend and motioned to the door. We could either risk being caught if we waited even more, or we could escape while we still had the chance. I think that the second option would be better but I wanted to know what Alex thought. 

Alex seemed to catch what I was hinting at and he nodded his head slowly. His eyes flickered to where he had seen the light in the room. 

"Should I try and turn it on?" 

"What for?" I questioned why he would need the light on. 

"Maybe there are something in here and that we could use for self defense." He did what I assumed, was a shrug. 

"I guess so? But won't that draw attention to this closet?" 

He didn't speak for a while but kept looking at where the light was located. Alex is smart, and so I didn't think he would do anything bad to get us caught. After all, it was his idea to come here in the first place. I would have rather looked everything up on the webster. Like normal people do. 

"It's worth a shot." With that, he quickly yet quietly tried to find the light switch. After a few attempts he finally found it. We both held our breaths as Alex flicked it on. It didn't turn on right away, but it soon slowly flickered to life.

The shadows it made were soon casted on the walls. It dimly lit the room, so it wasn't as noticeable, but still noticeable. If anyone would walk by they could tell there was a light on. Now that we had a little bit of light, we could finally see the closet in more detail. 

Alex was standing near a shelf full of cleaning products and there was some gardening stuff. Which was weird since there is no garden around the library, but there might have been few years ago. There were flashlights on the top shelf along with ropes, old light bulbs, scissors, duck tape, and some old paper. On the bottom shelf there was mostly cleaning supplies. Nothing that could really be used as self defense unless the person or thing didn't like to be sprayed with cleaning supplies. 

"Oh look! A metal water bottle!" Alex bend down and picked it up. It looked pretty old but it looked like it could hurt when banged on someone's head. Monster or human. 

"Hmm. I could always use this old Fawn soap and spray the thing in the eyes." I turned over the old soap bottle I had managed to find in a corner next to me. The scent was lemons but I doubt it would make anyone's eyes any cleaner. 

We then agreed to use those products in case we were to come face to face with the thing or person that had scared us. Alex slung his book bag over his shoulder and positioned the water bottle in his hand in case he needed to use it. I then proceed to have the soap in front of me so I could spray it at ease. Which was a good thing we were ready because at the moment, the door swung open and a light was shined on our faces with a dark figure looming over us. 

"WHO ARE YOU TWO?"