First Day On The Job

Start from the beginning

Shirayuki's POV

I had been up nearly all night after hearing Obi laughing all night. It was fine at first but it got rather irritating quickly.
"Good morning, Miss" Obi greeted me as he walked downstairs with Y/n. Her new outfit suited her well though it seemed very plain. I still wonder why a girl like her was out all alone in the that forest and was almost kidnapped by her friend... She doesn't make any sense to me. The others must know since they stayed up with her that night.. I want to know so I can try to help but.. is she willing to answer me?
"Good morning, Obi and Y/n" I smiled and stood up from my seat.
Y/n handed me a note that she probably wrote a little earlier. "Today is the day of your exam! Take this as a good luck charm! I know you'll do just amazing!" Than she handed me a braided bracelet.
"Th-Thank you.. this is beautiful! I'm sure I'll be okay but it's still frightening.. Anyway, this is your first day on the job! But.. what exactly does a sentinel do?" I asked. Immediately Obi busted out into loud obnoxious laughter like last night and this morning.
"Th-That's what I said!" He said in between laughs. Y/n rolled her eyes at Obi and wrote something, "I look to see if the area around his Highness is clear and safe. If not, than I'm to remove whatever is there. Basically I'm like his deadly shadow" she smirked at me.
"O-Oh.. You're scary" i told her than we both started laughing.

Your POV

As all 3 of us walked towards the gate we could see one of the guards talking with the other. Probably more gossip in all honestly.
"Do you remember that girl in all black yesterday? One of the guards yesterday heard her talking to Prince Zen about becoming his Official Sentinel and she said yes! Can you believe that? Oh and miss shirayuki- do you think her and the prince will ever date? I wonder" the guard ended his rant then pondered at the road in front of him where the three were walking. They both quickly straightened up and hoped we didn't hear. I'm almost positive the other 2 didn't hear him because they were talking back and forth but I certainly did.
Zen and Shirayuki? I suppose I can see that happening in the future. They seemed close right from the beginning..
I thought with a pain in my chest.
Ow- why the pain all of a sudden again?..
Just like any random pain I feel everyday. Maybe I'm still hungry or something this time?
The guards started opening the gates for us as soon as they realized who we were. Weird..
"We've been given orders from Prince Zen that you 3 are honored guests and may have permission to enter and leave at any time." One of them said. I nodded cautiously still being a little frightened of people around me.. It's been half a week and I already broke my promise to mother to keep covered up. I didn't have much of a choice though.
"Well, it's time for us to split up" shirayuki sighed nervously. I gave her a close eyed smile and Obi wished her luck than we went our separate ways. Obi didn't really have a role here... He's just kinda allowed to roam around I guess. I shooed him away with my hand and entered the castle through a door somewhere nearby. I knew where his highnesses office was but it'll take me some time to get there.
The walls were pretty shades of colors and completely dust free. There were maids and guards constantly passing by me gossiping about- Well, about me. They talked about me as if I weren't alive, like I was just a being. They called me the black cloak. They didn't know my gender or what I even came close to looking like. They stared at me in wonder though as I passed. They asked who I was to the other person they were with. It seems this place works in pairs. Everything here was very nice and expensive.. it looked nothing like the castle in Alfin, this place feels more lively yet peaceful.
I finally came upon the Prince's door. I took a deep breath to get out all my nerves than knocked twice.
"You may enter" the Prince answered from inside. I carefully walked in, shut the door behind me then went to stand in front of his desk. I bow as a greeting to him. He bowed out of the kindness in his heart before sighing and asking me to never do that again. I nodded yes even though id do it every time i meet him just to mess with him. Than I stood there like an idiot waiting for instructions. As barely a minute passed by of me doing nothing and waiting for his instructions he started to twitch in annoyance then stood up and walked to the door. He sighed lightly than smiled and turned to me, "Follow me miss Moon".
Miss Moon? Geez when did I suddenly get important? Oh yeah-... I forgot about my whole family history and 'proper names' thing. I'd rather him call me by my first name like before but if he feels that this is better than... Who am I to stop him?
I followed him out the door. Mitsuhide and Kiki followed us secretly but it was quite obvious to both me and the Prince so he angrily shooed them off.
"I didn't exactly tell you what your job entails yesterday so I'll tell you now" He smiled and led me through the halls and out a door leading to the outside. I watched him carefully so I didn't miss anything but his face brightened up and it seemed to make him uncomfortable. I flinched when i remembered that id be hit for staring.
O-Oh I forgot! Please dont hit as hard as-... I forgot.. Prince Zen isn't like him..
"You did nothing wrong, Y/n.." he smiled softly at me. It made my chest flutter a bit and my cheeks warm up for some reason..
I sighed hesitantly and nodded in relief with a smile. I felt a little at ease knowing I won't have it so hard here. "Anyway.." he cleared his throat and looked ahead of us. First was the training arena that I had been to before being lead to leading to some other buildings that are close to the royal gardens. "You can basically do anything you want during the daytime. All you have to do is walk around making sure things are how they should be and that no one is trying to come in without permission. It's much like a guard's job but without all the boringness." He chuckled making me laugh to myself a bit. I smiled and nodded. "Some days might be long and sometimes ill take you with me on trips with Kiki and Mitsuhide too. For you, being outside at night might be dangerous so please try to come inside but during the day time you could sit up in a tree all day- much like how Obi is right now...." he sighed looking up at Obi perched in a tree.
Obi shrugged jumping down to us, "I don't know what you're talking about master."
"Sure you don't.. Anyway miss Moon, just look productive and if it gets too hot you can always look just as productive walking inside too or you can come to my office and see if I need any help. Normally Mitsuhide and Kiki just hang out around me or spar in the arena" He informed me. I have a relatively easy job if there is no one who isn't supposed to be here.
"Any questions?" He asked.
"If there is a problem with someone being in the castle than should i report it to you first before solving the problem?" I wrote quickly and showed it to him.
"If you can then do it" he smiled. "Anymore?" I shook my head no. "Than you can do whatever you want. You get a 15 minute break every hour and a lunch break at noon" He said before walking off to the green house. Probably to visit Shirayuki before the test.
"You thinkin what I'm thinkin?" Obi crossed his arms looking over at me with a smirk.
I nodded my head than tagged him and ran off. "Hey no fair!" He grunted and gave me a little head start. I giggled to myself and ran away.

Teach Me How To Live    -~Zen Wistaria x Reader~-On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara