CHAPTER TWENTY: Solo

Start from the beginning

"I'm taller than you are, so at least I have that going for me. Now, hurry up and mount your horse. The district we're heading to isn't far off, and it's crawling with lower height class titans. We'll need you to pull your weight." Levi pushed himself to a stand, tossing the twig away and tapping my boot with his own. It was a surprisingly friendly gesture in my eyes, as it was gentle and coaxing, rather than a forceful gesture.

Maybe this little fuckhead isn't so bad..?

Off we went, and, as usual, I spent all of five minutes in formation before breaking away and getting distracted by my surroundings. I ignored everyone's attempts to order me back into the group, and I drifted off into my own little dreamland.

They'd be graduating tonight...I hope Marco gets the ranking he needs to become an interior policeman...Mikasa or Reiner will probably be number one, from what I've seen...but that still leaves eight more places...

Suddenly, my senses all switched on at once, sharp and directed to the slight blur within a patch of trees to my right. The way my skin shivered let me know that it was, indeed, a titan. It had always been like that when I had lived out in the open, but this time, I had the means to defend myself.

"Oi! where are you going?!" I heard Oluo yell after me when I veered off, kicking Boy into a steady gallop. Never before had I had such an urge take over me. The titan dummies were one thing, but the thought of taking down one made of flesh and blood made my pulse rush. The closer I got, the more of it I could see, hiding between the cracks in the trees. It was pretty big; fourteen foot, at most, but it was moving in a way that seemed almost jelloid.

Abnormal...

"(Y/N)! Get back here!" I heard Eld yell this time, but I was determined. I was almost close enough to use my odm gear, even though I knew I'd get chewed out for it afterward. "Are you seriously trying to run off?!" It was obvious that they still had no idea there was a titan so close. Everyone was shouting at me, and bringing attention to us, apart from Levi. He was following, sure, but at a safe distance. At least he knew what was up.

I could tell what was coming, but I wasn't prepared for it when that jelly-limbed titan burst through the trees, barely giving me enough time to shoot out an anchor and zip out of the way. It was moving so awkwardly that I couldn't find an opening to get a clear shot at the nape, and I was seriously thankful that the squad was so experienced, as they all managed to get out of the way too.

"Eld, maneuver seven!" Gunther shouted out to the second in command, but I wasn't having any of that. I found it, and I had already laid claim to it.
"IT'S MINE!" I barked loudly, which caused them all to snap their heads in my direction.
"ARE YOU KIDDING?! THIS FUCKER'S TOO WILD FOR YOUR FIRST KILL, AND YOU KNOW IT!" Eld snarked right back, which made me even more determined.

I know they could take it down easily...but...I wanna do it..!

This titan was fast. Despite it appearing like it didn't have a single bone in any of its limbs, it made a mad dash towards me with snapping jaws. I was anchored almost horizontally to a tree trunk, and I had no time to think. Trusting instincts, and nothing else, I made a poorly aimed shot with my odm gear, managing to hook into the flesh in the back of its balding head.

"DON'T YOU DARE!" Eld again, trying to make a move before I had a chance, but I was faster than he could have ever hoped to be. I jumped into the air, reeling myself in towards the monstrous beast that wanted me on the menu. It was so much different than i had thought it would be. Of course, I had killed titans before, but they had been trapped, and rendered useless. This one was very much mobile, and absolutely ravenous. I had expected fear and nerves, but I didn't feel any of that. I just felt completely neutral about the whole situation.