4

Karen's POV

When I went to bed that night I couldn't stop thinking of Spider-Man. He was so nice and down to Earth. Why'd he like me?? I'm just some ugly weirdo. The night passed and I got some rest and woke up to the sound of orders. I had to sweep and mop the floor as soon as I was done with my breakfast. As I was sweeping and mopping I saw two women come in. They were staring at me. Again with that somber look like they feel bad but aren't gonna do anything about it. eventually one of the little boys were adopted and he was happy and excited. I was happy for him. I sighed and continued my work. My jeans were slightly stained with bleach. I looked down and could only think "ugh" I did chores until lunch time. The foster woman was on the phone for a while. She kept looking at me and then looking away. I was confused to say the least. After I finished my lunch she came to me. She gave me some pretty good news. I wouldn't be getting adopted unfortunately but I will be moved to a foster house. Like I'll have foster parents but they're just keeping me there until someone adopts me. And if they want they can keep me but it's not recommended I believe. I packed up some stuff and waited to meet my new guardians. I sat in my best pants and shirt. I had my hair up in a high ponytail with a headband to hold back my curly bangs. When the door opened they was only a woman. She was like me. She came from Texas and had caramel skin. She shook my hand and I shook hers back. Her name is Lori Bach. She's really sweet. After a while of getting to know each other and confirming I'd be comfortable to go with her, Lori signed some paperwork and I did too even though I was a minor. I was so happy to be leaving that place. The foster woman waved and then turned around like nothing. I'm pretty sure she isn't running that home correctly. We got into her car and we drove to her house. On the way there she made some small talk. "So Karen, are you excited to be moving out of there?" I nodded my head. "Definitely. The lady's a real, jerk." She nodded her head. "Not all of them are like that. You just got unlucky huh?" I nodded my head. "Yup. But now you came and saved me from that nightmare I've lived for 9 years." She smiled. "I'm glad to help." When we arrived it was at an apartment complex. A pretty nice one too. We went inside and got into the elevator. We went up to the seventh floor. 206 was the room number. She opened it with her key and walked in. "Welcome home Karen, your room is down the hall the first door on the left." She put her keys down and opened the fridge. "Make yourself at home! I'm gonna start on some dinner." I nodded my head and headed to my room. She had a whole room set up for me. It was beautiful brown, white and grey. I nearly cried thinking about how I have a room to myself. I didn't have any foster siblings yet. I was her first. She told me to make myself at home, so I did. I put away my clothes and other stuff in the drawers and closet. After a while as I was putting away some stuff she walked into the room. "Knock knock, hey, how's everything? Do you like the room?" I turned around and smiled. "Yea-yes ma'am it's great, t-thank you!" She had a box in her hand. "I got you this, it's not something crazy or anything it's just simple and I thought you'd like it." She handed me the box as I sat on the bed. I opened the box to a phone. I gasped "I'd always wanted one!! I've never had a phone! Thank you!" She smiled as she leaned against the door frame. "You're welcome" she then cleared her throat. "Also, uhm, you don't have to call me mom if you don't want to. If eventually you wanna call me mom I'm okay with that. Even if you don't, Lori is fine with me." I nodded my head and put the phone on the dresser. I got up and hugged her and cried a bit. "Thank you Lori." She hugged me back and sighed. I knew she'd be really great. I was thinking about the location. It's in an apartment sort of. It's across this other building like a business building or something. I had been sitting and customizing things on my phone. I got an Instagram. I also put in Michelle's number. I had it memorized. I texted her telling her that it was me. She responded quickly and I told her about everything. My rooms window has a fire escape outside like the one at the foster home. I could walk down it if I wanted to. And the window opens beautifully. Night came and Lori served dinner. She made something I loved. Carne guisada! It's a Hispanic dish. We ate and then she went to bed as well as I. Except I didn't go to sleep. I snuck out. I went to midtown tech again. Well I was going to. I was on my way when I got kind of lost. It was a different and longer route from where I'd be living now. I had been walking for what seemed like forever. I was completely lost. I decided to continue looking when I turned a corner and then quickly hid. There were guys there attacking this girl. She was just trying to go home. I hid and threw fire at the guys. One of them caught fire and stop dropped and rolled. He ended up leaving. The other guy slashed the girls arm and grabbed the necklace from her neck. She grabbed her arm in shock and pain. The other guy left after the first one. I went towards the girl and I sat her down. "Don't worry miss I'm not gonna hurt you I promise. Here let me see your cut" I grabbed her arm and held together the cut. I then lit my finger on fire. "Okay ma'am, this might sting, so bare with me." I led my finger across her wound cauterizing the wound. She screamed in pain as I cringed. I tore off a piece of my jacket and wrapped it around it. "You should be fine but, go to the emergency room okay? Stay safe." I helped her up and she nodded her head. "who are you? You look so young." I thought about what Spider-man said and I made up a name. "Fuega. Call me Fuega." She nodded her head again and walked away. She turned around for a second "Thank you" I nodded and started walking back to the school. I got to the school and it was locked. "Shit." I sighed and hurried off. I decided to go to the park. It was pretty cold outside. Especially now that I was missing part of my jacket. I heated myself up on the way there. I sat at the park and saw some ducklings. I smiled until I saw one shivering. It was icy earlier today and it was stuck in ice water. I took it out and make my hands warm. Its little quacks were so cute. I put down then duckling and sat on a bench. I sat there and closed my eyes. I then opened them again and looked at the stars. Beautiful. I warmed myself up and relaxed.

I woke up and was in my bedroom. I sat up. "Was that a dream?" I stood up and looked in the mirror at my torn jacket. "It wasn't. I must've fell asleep on the bench but how did I get here?" I turned around and looked out the window. There was a note. I read it. "Good job, Fuega, you're pretty good at helping people, if you need to reach Spider-Man" I looked at the back of the page "*** *** 1902" I smiled to myself. How nice. I put the number in my phone. I set the contact name to Spider-Guy. I layed there for a while and then grabbed my phone. I texted him. "Hey is this uhm, Spider-man?" I waited and I then got a message.

Spider-Guy
I see you've read my note :)

Karen
Yeah actually I did!

Spider-Guy
So I see your out of that foster home

Karen
Yeah I am! I'm not exactly adopted. I'm just staying here until someone adopts me.

Spider-Guy
That's still better than the home though isn't it?

Karen
Oh yeah definitely

Spider-Guy
So, do you still plan on sneaking out to Midtown?

Karen
Probably if I'm not enrolled.

Spider-Guy
Oh okay. You gotta
be careful though.

Karen
So why did you leave me your number?? That seems like something someone like you shouldn't do.

Spider-Guy
I normally wouldn't so something like that no. But you seem cool. And I think you'd be a good hero

Karen
Hero?

Spider-Guy
Yeah! Tell you what. Meet me tomorrow on the rooftop of your building. I saw you cauterizing that woman's wound. Kinda gross but cool!

Karen
Oh alright, yeah haha she needed help. But uhm what time?

Spider-Guy
9 pm. If that's okay with you?

I smiled and texted back.

Karen
Yeah! That's fine :)

Spider-Guy
See you then :)

Karen
See you.

I put the note in a drawer and layed down on my bed. I sighed and looked at my phone. "Who would've known my second contact would be Spider-Man. He must trust me a lot." I got comfy clothes and headed to my bathroom. It was nice and cleaned and organized. I smiled to myself. My own bathroom. I took a shower and got dressed. I layed in my bed. It was so soft. I put my phone to charge even though it was only at 77 percent. I layed my head on the pillow and snuggled my blanket. I drifted off to sleep in my cool room. Both types of cool.