Chapter 3

A/N: Hey y'all,  the beautiful cover was made by my cuz, pinksocks4. If haven't read her book you should. It's called Life Saver. In this chapter A.J. and Slade finally meet. I hope you like this chapter. -<3

A.J. POV

    I didn't tell Reece about racing, cause you know, he'd blow a gasket. Reece and I are currently working on his car and getting it ready for his race this weekend.
     "Hey, Reese cup?" I asked him as he was messing with the motor.
     "Yeah,  A.J.?" He asked focussed on the motor.
      "What would you do if I said I wanted to race?" I ask and immediately regret it. He stopped and stood straight. When he looked at me he had that look in his eye, it scared me.
      "A.J., you are not racing. For the last time, NO!!" He yelled.
     "Ok, sorry. I- I just wanted to see if you had changed your mind." I mumbled.
      He signs and puts his hand on my shoulder, "I just want you safe,  Avery." I look up at him. He used my real name, so I know he was serious.
       "I know. Now, let's fix this car so we can get you some money." I said clapping my hands and turning back under the hood.
      He chuckles and says, "I'm gonna go grab so parts from the back." I hum a response but focus on the motor.
      I hear the door to the back open and close. I few minutes later I hear a car pull up but ignore it. It's probably just one of my dad's friends.

Slade's POV

     I pull up to Jensen's Garage and Junkyard. Reece said he's worked here for as long as he can remember and it's how he met A.J. I park and open my door.  I see Reece's car in the shop and the hood up. I walk over and see if Reece is here, "Yo, Reece? Buddy ya here?"
     "He's in the back." I hear a voice say behind me. I turn and see the girl from the party last night. She has her hair in a lose French braid and is wearing a mechanic's shirt.
     "Oh, is he now...." I look at her name tag and is says Avery, "Avery?"
     She narrows her eyes at me and says, "He'll be back in a second."
     "We'll, I'm his friend,  Slade Reynolds." I said putting my hand out. 
      She looks at my hand and then takes it, "Trust me,  I know who you are."
      "You do now. What do you know?" I wink at her. What a guy can't flirt?
     "I know enough, but maybe you could tell me more." She said. Wait, is she flirting back? I like this girl.
     I'm about to ask her out when a door opens and Reece comes through with a box in his hands. He sees me and puts the box down. He walks over and puts his arm around Avery. "What are you going here? And I see that you met A.J." He says with a smirk. Wait, did he just say A.J.?
I look at him shocked.
     I turn back to Avery and ask, "You're A.J.?"
    She smirks,  "The one and only."
     "But, your tag says Avery."
     "Yeah,  Avery Jensen." I smirk, she played me. Huh, I think I like her a little more now. I phone rings and she goes to answer it. I watch her walk away. Reece hits me on the back of the head. "What the h*ll?!" I ask rubbing the back of my head.
     "Don't even think about it." He said in a warning tone.
     "What?  She's hot." I shrug.
     He made a face in disgust, "Ew, gross. She's like my little sister."
      I just shrug my shoulders and change the subject, "Hey,  did you hear?  Last night after Bennett lost to me,  he lost to some dude on a bike. He won't say who it is." I looked over and see A.J. with a knowing smirk.
     "Ha, guess you threw him off his game. Now come, help us work on the car." Reece laughs and then motions for me to follow him to the car.
     "Actually, Reese cup. I was gonna start working on my bike, if that's alright?  If not,  I'll totally help you." A.J. said. Wait,  Reese cup?  I give him a funny look and he glares at me.
     "Yeah,  that's fine. We got it." Reece says and the rest of the time is spent with the only sounds me and Reece commenting on  the car and the sound of tools working. Who knew? A.J. was a girl the entire time.