Chapter Ten- The Date

I looked at Amber with my eyes widened. "She's so cute!" I nearly squeaked holding her out in front of me.

Toby didn't reply he just looked down at his feet with his hands in his pockets. Footsteps made me and Toby jump at the same time. A young girl with her hair in a pony tail and a wolf at her side came storming  over towards them.

"Your wolf got out again!" She complained. "Every time you leave without him  he tries to find you." 

"Sorry." Toby murmured.

"I hope so because he got into the neighbors yard and dug up over five holes in his garden, and now mom has to waste her time fixing it." The girl went on. I figured it was his sister, but I decided to stay out of it. It might not be wise to get caught up in this. I thought missing out on what Toby had said to respond.

The girl just sighed. "Sorry to interrupt." She looked at me. "I'm Ayaka." She held her hand out towards me. 

Awkwardly I shook it introducing myself. " I'm Erin. "

"Sorry to bother you." She waved at me and walked away leaving the wolf with me and Toby. By now the sun had completely gone down and the stars were glimmering in the night sky.

"I probably should be going home now." I muttered.

" Yeah..." He agreed obviously annoyed by his sisters actions. "Well...Bye.."

"Bye? We could just walk all the way back together. We live on the same street." I pointed out.

"O-oh right." He stammered, blushing.

When began to strode down the path that leads us back to our street from the elementry school park. I had Amber all snuggled up inside my sweater, while Toby crried the box for me. As Amber squirmed around in my jacket I jumped as she nuzzled her head against my chin. "Aww." I breathed out trying not to bug her. 

Toby watched as Amber let out a small mew and purred herself to sleep again. "She's so adorable." He commented moving his gaze from Amber to me. Awkwardly we stared at each other for a few heartbeats, but then we quickly looked away. Both of us were blushing and avoiding another awkward gaze. 

We started walking again. Amber kept on squirming the whole time, and it remained silent other than her occasional mews and loud yawns. Amber was probably one of the best presents anyone had ever given me. 

My house was now in sight. Toby turned towards me and smiled. "This was fun." 

"It was. " I agreed thoughtfully. "I love Amber. Whenever I see her I wil probably think of you." I blushed a little.

He nodded. "Your welcome. It's funny actually, I got you Amber because she reminded me of you. "

"Well I better go. " I waved goodbye to Toby and raced up to my porch holding Amber in my hands now.

 When  I opened the door the TV was on, but my mother wasn't watching it. She wasn't even in the room. I shrugged and walked into my bedroom and shut the door. I took one of my thicker blankets and folded it up and placed it in the box. Then I layed Amber gently into the box. She tried to nibble at my finger as I place dher in the box, but I pulled it away before she could. Silently she got comfertable and went back to sleep.

I let out a sigh and stared at my precious gift. I...I was at a loss of words. I...I don't know how to respond to this. I simply flopped on my bed and huggged a pillow between my arms. H-he's so nice. Nobody has ever given me something that thoughtful. 

I decided to go to bed before I died of all the emotion that was bubbling up inside. "Tomorrow I get to go shopping and get my mind off of Toby and the fourth and...everything. " I spoke to myself. But part of me doesn't want to get my mind off of any of it. I thought.  "While I'm shopping I better get cat food. " I added thoughtfully. I flicked the light switch off then snuggled myself into my blankets and fell asleep.