08

Davir Her Arun | 11th day of Sprout season

Head spinning with exhaustion, Davir darted between overturned tables strewn across the floor, boots crunching glass and brittle wood, through the thick coat of smoke choking the tavern. Heron led the way, his elbow obstructing his nostrils.

As they pushed past the tumult, patrons rushed outside the establishment. More fearful for their business than their lives, the holders scrambled counterwise, whipping blankets and spilling water to quench fires sparking from falling lanterns.

As soon as he walked past the door, Davir aimed for the first abandoned horse he set his gaze on. Across the path of cobbles, an agitated dark mare tethered to a lantern post across the street.

Heron stopped Davir from approaching the mare. Dubious at first, he watched Heron claim the reins in an swift turn of the knotted leather threads around his palm. He caressed her back and spoke calmly. "Come on. Let me take you somewhere safe." He mounted after the mare's agitation subsided then stretched an arm to pull Davir up. His hand went back to the mare's flank as he persuaded her into a trot, breaking into a gallop before the owner caught on to the theft. He rode. Out of the borough.

In the forest, the gallops cadence waned into a trot. The sound of his breath came to Davir's ears faintly. Around, no sign of any of the city folks to reclaim the mare. The plummeting rush seemed to finally allow unpleasant thoughts to permeate.

"She served in the royal domain for three seasons," Heron said. "She told me her family is waiting for her in the region of Tholos."

"Perhaps," Davir said, "or the attack is the completion of a conspiracy. It means, this far, the threat to the monarchy has been severely underestimated since rebels seem to operate from the royal domain. If you expect an answer from the traitor, she could have you decapitated first, I'm afraid."

If the nurse's treason was an indication of the schemes of the capital's rebellion, major threats to the heir's health awaited. Worse, they were so unpredictable, they had the stamp of approval of the ruling council to reside within the barricade of the royal domain.

If the nurse's failed attempt was a good reference, it seemed killing the heir within the monarchy's siege was ruled out, whether because of the risk of failure or because the rebellion couldn't claim the heir's death without a dead body to account for it.

"The mines at the Malay borders are strictly secured by armed guards," Heron said, "There shouldn't be stoneflingers among the rebels. Unless the miners in the border are supplying the minerals without the mining chiefs noticing it."

Davir wondered if it was voluntary that he avoided the evidence. If the thought of nobles aiding the rebels organize was unbearable for him.

"I'm incompetent on the subject," Davir admitted. The worse thing about existing with a fragmented mind was that some memories were easily accessible, while others were locked away from his grasp.