53

Davir Her Arun | 78th day of Sprout season

As if to make Davir feel the full impact of what he had just discovered, Fanou didn't get inside his mind this time to bring him to their secret headquarters. They walked inside dark isolated alleys. Fanou was leading the way. Seemingly without an aim in particular.

"If you let me, Davir, I will revive the powers you have dormant in you. It would be nothing short of a pleasure for me as a scholar that has devoted the bulk of my existence to the cause of Gulgrarii."

Davir kept his silence. If Fanou believed Heron's betrayal automatically meant he would trust him he was wrong by a long shot.

"I don't ask you to trust me, Davir dear," Fanou said. "I want you to see the bigger, broad situation before your eyes. There is a conflict and both sides are ready to be ruthless for self-preservation. You must choose where you stand and fast. I know it shouldn't be as difficult for you as you make it sound. You are used to think of yourself first of all. The trouble here is that you cannot fight alone and win. If it's comforting to you, three hundred years ago, you did side with us in this conflict."

"Keep out of my thoughts, bastard," Davir warned.

"If you allow me to lead you back to your abilities, there will be a moment you won't need to ask me for that. It's already impressive that on your own you were able to access your vessel of secondary energy. But not surprising, given who your mother was. Although I digress, since my Father will be much more pertinent to talk to you about that. My main point is, having you as a pupil, will be one of the greatest honors I will ever experience."

Davir was enticed by the promise of power and he knew Fanou could sense that. Reason why he kept that irritating and cheerful expression on his face. Fanou was convinced he had won the argument, and Davir felt inclined to refuse his offer just for pure spite. Fanou knew that, too, of course.

"Yes, it's stupid," Fanou said. "It's stupid when the stakes are so much higher than one's ego, and winning an argument." He sighed.

They crossed the threshold between the paved grounds of the city and the ones where cobbles struggled against sandy terrains. Fanou didn't say anything throughout.

Davir followed because he didn't have anywhere to return to. He'd gone from soldier to wanted by the guard. Someone somewhat shielded by the Monarchy through Heron to a declared, even targeted enemy of the Monarchy. And he couldn't leave Ceres even if he came to consider it, because there would be eyes on him on the roads, borders, and villages.

His resources had worked in his favor up to this point but he admitted he had been defeated. Still skeptical and wary, he followed Fanou.

There was no other option than to let himself be used, thus shielded, until he mastered to create a better solution. "If you're so willing to teach me I will let you, provided you shelter me from the guard."