49

Amyra Ore Alerin | 77th day of Sprout season

Amyra had been waiting for Wylmon to come back to the edifice for four hours. He had promised he would be back soon, claiming he needed to take Heron away from there, or else I would be in grave trouble. Amyra had believed him, she had heard Heron's unmistakable voice coming through the window, from down the building.

She held strongly to the idea that Wylmon would come back soon as he had promised. She had succeeded well enough, but ever since that explosion had sounded, her nerves had been riled up and she couldn't stand still.

All the while, several ugly thoughts prickled through whatever positive ones she tried to conjure against her mounting anxiety, torturing her like an axe that struck repeatedly.

Wylmon could have given up on the mission after all. He would not take them to the academy. He could have been caught in the explosion. The boom had sounded from the eastern portion of the city, around the fourth boroughs.

That, the passerby had confirmed as she leaned in to collect information while they strolled past the edifice. What still remained a mystery was the cause of said explosion.

Some— surely drunk on too much cheap bora— thought it had been a gust of wind that tore apart one of the bridges. That Amyra knew wasn't possible but not having an idea of what had happened was causing her to feel sick with worry. It was gnawing at her with fury.

Descending the stairs that led to the door spot, and plunging deeper into the cold, dry air that swept across the street, as if Drought would fall upon them that very night, Amyra peered to one direction of the street, then to the other. Where are you Wyl? She turned and started walking to the end of the street. At this point, it was simply a way to deal with her anxiety.

"Where are you going?" the voice sounded from behind her.

Amyra turned around to confirm he was there, and he was standing by the door she had just left. She let out a sigh of relief and felt tears welling up as the prospect of the worst began fading.

She rushed up to Wyl, thinking she had mustered to keep tears at bay, but when she spoke, she was sobbing. "Where were you?" she let out the rest before Wylmon could respond, "I was sick with worry. You promised you would be here much sooner. There was an explosion in the city, you could have been there."

The tears were coming in profusely now. It wasn't just for Wylmon, everything weighed too heavily on her shoulders now. Una, the expectations after the letter she had sent to Anuteh, the academy.

All these weakness. Amyra could not recognize herself anymore. And she cried for that, too. She realized now these two last years had been too long. The nursing academy, the constant scheming, and the anxiety it brought up. She had killed a man of law brutally and almost handed Heron to a monster.