I smile and nod my head, "true. Thanks for coming, despite everything." I nod, leaning over to hug my best friend.

She smiles and wraps her arms around me too, giving me a squeeze.

I pull out of our embrace and see the front door open, Scott, Evan, Mason, and the twins entering the home.

I'm sure my eyes grow three times in size, and Katie notices.

"Your favorite person decided to make an appearance too, huh?" She snarks.

"Let it go, Katie. There is nothing going on! Don't make it weird." I groan, standing up and walking towards the (so I thought) unhappy couple.

"Scott, Mrs. Copeland, good to see you." I lie, forcing a smile. Evan eyes me and I can tell she has something to say, but so do I. "You've been out of town for quite a while on work, Scott. I was afraid you wouldn't make it." I say, hinting at him being kicked out of his home, which he doesn't know I have knowledge of.

Evan cuts her eyes at me and I watch her hand drag across Scott's shoulder. It makes me cringe, but I can't show it.

"Work keeps me busy." Scott charms and glances at his dime-piece of a wife. He doesn't deserve her.

"Lexi!" Ava squeals, latching to my left leg while Grace takes the right.

"My two favorite girls." I smile, ruffling their hair. "Well, two of my favorites anyway." I mutter, not even bothering to glance up at their mom. She knows.

"Are you graduated?" Ava asks, hopeful.

I smile lightly, "well, pretty much. The ceremony is next weekend but we are celebrating now." I say, squatting down to the girls' level. "You guys wanna go get cupcakes?"

I glance at Evan, who is still touching Scott, and she nods subtly. I wink at the twins and they bolt toward the kitchen with me behind them.

Katie meets us there, watching from a distance.

"Ava, Grace. Say hey to Katie." I say and the girls wave at my (once) best friend.

"I like your dresses. They're so cute." Katie compliments.

The twins smile and giggle at the compliment and begin shoving cupcakes into their mouths.

I near Katie and she sighs, "they like you a bit."

"They ought to. I babysit often, and I let them stay up late when I do." I tease.

"Mrs. Copeland's husband is... wow." Katie gawks, eyeing Scott while he stands down the hallway.

I roll my eyes and refrain from commenting. He's "wow" alright.

"I'll be right back, keep an eye on them?" I ask Katie, wanting to get Evan alone.

Katie nods hesitantly and looks at me funny as I depart the kitchen.

I walk down the hall and let my hand brush Evan's lower back as I pass her on the way to a separate room. Thankfully, she picks up on my signal and appears around the corner.

"You're crazy. What?" She hisses, constantly peeking over her shoulder.

"He's back?" I hiss, obviously not thrilled. Just the other day I was pleading with her to leave the bastard.

"No, he isn't back. Lexi, we can't talk about this he-" she starts to stray away, back into the open room, but I grab her hand.

"I saw you in the same fucking bed as him, Evan. Did you fuck him?" I ask, knowing I'm probably overstepping boundaries.