extra #1: embarrassing day

Year 3094 [following the 2nd pathway]

He looks at his reflection once more, making sure that the stray hair that keeps on bouncing back up is in place; he's pretty sure the annoying piece has bounced back up for the thousandth time. He grumbles before he completely ruffles his hair - the hairgel can go away for all he cares. He had wanted to slick back his hair but it looks like his hair is being uncooperative. He lets his bangs cover his forehead before he studies his face; he can see the barely visible stubble on his chin and the dark bags under his eyes.

"Damn I look horrible, it's a wonder she still likes me," Seonghwa mutters to himself.

"It really is a wonder," he hears San's voice near his bedroom door. The king is leaning against the doorframe, clicking his tongue before shaking his head in disapproval. "You could at least take the effort to be presentable when it's-" he narrows his eyes, "-a big day for both of you. Or maybe only for you, if things go wrong."

"Can you at least be positive for me? I look like this because I couldn't sleep at all last night; I'm too nervous for today."

"Of course you would be," Wooyoung's voice comes next, as he puts an arm around the king. "Look at my brother's eyes being all grey because you're too nervous for today," he makes fun of him, to which Seonghwa only rolls his eyes. "She would probably run away when she sees you like this."

Seonghwa grabs his jacket before shoving a box inside its pocket and makes his way to the door. "I hate all of you. Now, goodbye. I have something big to do."

"Sure you do," San comments as both he and Wooyoung are pushed aside by Seonghwa.

Just as the eldest disappears around the corner of the hallway, both of them simultaneously shout at him, "Good luck!"

"Thank you!" he shouts back, although he can no longer be seen. Then after a beat, "But I still hate all of you!"

Both of them chuckle at his response before turning to look at each other. San asks, "Do you want to bet that he'll chicken out?"

"I bet he will," Wooyoung replies, but after a thought, he continues, "But maybe for once I trust him."

The king shrugs, "True enough, and he better not mess this up."

---

He had wanted to surprise her at the library, but it seems that he is the one getting surprised when he sees Yunho idling in front of the door, his left hand holding a clear plastic container with a strawberry cake inside; the words 'Happy Birthday Park Seonghwa' written across the top. The two men blink awkwardly as they catch sight of each other, with Yunho making a feeble attempt to hide the cake. The cake almost topples over when he tries to hide it behind his back, and he is only left holding the birthday cake at arms' length, as if it's a dead rat that is starting to smell.

"Ha...ppy birthday?" Yunho says as he shoves the cake in front of Seonghwa, which sounds more like a question that the latter has to look up to actually remember what day it's supposed to be.

"Thank... you?" he replies, as confused as him. "But it's not my birthday today, it's tomorrow."

"Well, huh, that's weird," he laughs nervously, taking back the cake. "Oh dear," he closes his eyes, "Akira is going to kill me when she finds out that I ruined the surprise she wanted to do for you. Can you please pretend that you didn't see the cake? I picked up the cake from the bakery and wanted to send it to her, but it seems that she's not at the library. Madam Eurielle is not home too, so I can't ask where she's gone to."

"Maybe she went to town?" Seonghwa offers. "We can look for her together but uh, it might not be wise since..." he gestures towards the cake, "You said it was supposed to be a surprise."