Chapter One

Different. What does it really mean? It could be your hair color or height. Maybe it could be your smile or your laugh. If that is what difference means, wouldn't that make us all different? No, that's not what people think of when they think of difference. They only think of the people who's differences aren't accepted. That's the world I live in.

These are the thoughts that run through my mind as I comb through my long red hair. I can be a very philosophical morning person. I look in the mirror at my bright blue eyes and decided on an outfit that would complement them. 

After grabbing a cup of coffee, I flip on the TV to the news which is part of my morning ritual. Many people see the news as depressing, and it is, but I like knowing what's going on in the world I live in.

A scientist who is being interviewed appears on screen, "a new study has confirmed the theory that aberrations are caused by a certain gene that appears at birth. Since many aberrations are so young, it's safe to assume the gene has just began appearing in the last 30 years probably around 2015. No one was aware of the change until 2030 when powers started manifesting in the, then, teenage hosts. Now that it is 2045, there are more aberrations than ever before. Teenagers finding themselves with such abilities poses a great threat to humanity unlike anything we-"

I switch off the TV. I don't mind hearing them go on about aberrations, but when they start talking about how dangerous they are, I can't listen anymore.

The stillness of my room was interrupted by the startling ring of my phone. I jump at the sound then I picked up my phone and answered it. I didn't have to look at caller ID to know it was my best friend, Iris Huntley. Only she would call me at this time.

"Hey hun!" Iris chimes through the phone, "did you watch the news this morning?"

"Part of it," I sigh rummaging through my backpack, "I'll never understand why humans react so badly to change. Differences aren't threatening, but they seem to think they are."

"Humans have fought difference since the beginning of time," Iris admits, "whether it was race, sexuality, or even behavior. Especially in high schools. If you don't fit in, you don't belong. That's how it's always worked."

"That's bull," I shove my laptop into my bag, "I'm glad I'm not an aberration."

"Yeah," Iris pauses, "about that."

"What is is Iris?"

"Well I-" she's cut off by a voice in the background, "I have to go. My mom is calling me for breakfast. See you at school."

Without another word, she hangs up.

Iris had been acting very strange lately. We had been best friends since preschool, and she would sit with me for hours and listen to my problems. Lately, she's become distant like she's hiding something.

I take another sip of coffee before going downstairs. I walk into our kitchen which was the definition of perfection thanks to Lana. She cleaned it even when it was spotless. My cousin, Lana, was sitting at the kitchen table with a breakfast feast laid out in front of her and an innocent smile plastered on her face. She knows I don't eat breakfast.

"Lana," I arch one eyebrow, "do you plan on eating all of this yourself?"

"Well, I'd hoped you would join me," she says tiredly, "it's your first day of senior year. Not only that, but you'll be getting your license soon. I think we should celebrate."

I sit with her at the table, "well, I guess having the ability to drive myself places is a reason to celebrate."

"Yeah," Lana trails off, "just be careful, ok? After what happened with our parents, I worry about you being on the road."