Chapter 11

Jared's POV

"Stupid Cain." I grumbled sullenly to myself. I was slouching on the couch next to Lili in front of the television. She was gloating and not bothering to disguise it as she flipped the channel to her favorite show.

I scowled. "I thought that Cain said to go to the channel we agreed on."

"Wha'cha gonna do about it?" Her face had a mask of innocence.

Evil Lili.

Change it." I growled.

She stuck her tongue out. "Make me."

I tensed my muscles preparing to launch myself at Lili to forced the remote from her grip. However, I was interrupted when Tanner shouted (in a rather panicked voice), "The eagle has landed! I repeat, the eagle has landed!"

Sure enough the sound of a car entering the garage could be heard.

The next twenty seconds were filled with a flurry of movement as we hid anything that could suggest we weren't our parents little angels. Tanner shoved the things that had been laid out on the counter in to the backpack on the stool next to him. And I, with one fluid motion scooped up the papers on the coffee table into my arms and stuffed them under the couch cushions. While Lili fast as lightning, picked up all the little parts of whatever she had disassembled earlier, and deposited them into her room.

There were three things that ran through the family. Grey eyes, which we all had- except Tanner and mom. Short tempers, there were no exceptions to this one. And unusual talents, as well as the ability to clean up after ourselves so that no one could expect a thing.

Besides the talent for lying, which each sibling had, we also had our own individual gifts.

I myself had a knack for information gathering. Don't ask how I know, what I know, because I won't tell you.

Lili was known for her pranks, but that was just how she tended to use her gift. She had this fascination with how things worked which enabled her to set elaborate traps and such; though unfortunately she often would use pieces of other people's things. Once she used parts from dad's drill and my video game system to get back at this other girl at school. I'm pretty sure that girl still has nightmares 'bout Lili.

I had no idea what Tanner's was, although he kinda was the leader- not that any of us would ever admit it to him- which I guess could count as a talent of it's own.

Avery was a bit young to show hers even though Cain started when he was three.

And lastly there was, of course, Cain, who had a gift for stealing. He could swipe just about anything and you would never know he was the one who took it.

I plopped down on the couch grimacing at the sound of crunching paper underneath me.

By the time our mom had opened the garage door we had all resumed our original positions like nothing had happened.

"You ready?" She asked cheerily, setting her purse down on the kitchen counter.

For what? I wondered confusingly. Glancing around I realized I wasn't alone. Lili and Tanner's faces mirrored my bewilderment.

Then Tanner's eyes widened. "Uncle Jack and aunt Evelyn are coming."

Lili and I shot each other 'uh oh' looks. If they were coming to visit then they were bringing...

"It has been so long since we've seen them. Especially your cousins."

"Yes, it has. I can't wait to see Casper and Wren." Lili said with happiness, although her face showed she wanted to be somewhere else.