Chapter 6

Authors Note: Sorry that this chapter took so long. Truth be told, this actually only half of what I was planning to write for chapter 6. But after realizing that if I went and wrote the whole thing I would be over my page limit for the chapter (I'm trying to keep the chapters 2-3 pages). So the good news to this is that the 7th chapter is almost done! Well anyway, enjoy the chapter!

_________________________________________________________________

Pein/Nagato's POV

 My brisk steps echoed along the hallway as I made my way to the meeting room. When I reached a door that said Staff Only I opened it and proceeded down the stairs. At the bottom of the dimly lit stairwell there was another door after going through it I found myself in a medium sized room.

 A large oval conference table sat in the center with ten chairs. Each with a symbol burned into the wood before it, one for each of the members plus an extra for Tobi. The carpet on the floor was faded and worn from the feet that had been dragged over it. Sconces were spaced evenly along the walls, and even with a few smashed in they still gave the meeting room a warm glow. The walls had several holes from weapons and people being smashed into them along with numerous burn marks from explosions.

 Sasori was already in his seat drumming his fingers impatiently on the table's wooden surface. He dipped his head in respect before continuing his gaze on the far wall. As I sat down at the head of the table Konan entered followed closely by Kisame and Itachi. They took their places around the table as Zetzu came through the floor.

 There was a tension in the air, for they all knew I only called meetings in the middle of the night if there was an important reason. I leaned back in my chair unfazed as Deidara burst through the door with Tobi on his heels. A small frown crossed my face as I saw the masked man, but lost it quickly before it was noticed.

 I checked the clock on the far wall above the door; 12:06, the meeting should have started six minutes ago. Glancing around the table I noted who was present, that's everyone but.. "Where are Hidan and Kakuzu?"

 The room went silent at the sound of my voice; several shook their heads while others shrugged. After a few seconds Deidara spoke up. "Kakuzu went to get Hidan up, un."

 This made majority of the members cringe. It was common knowledge among the Akatsuki that Hidan was... quite grumpy when he was woken up. Sasori had to replace an arm and a leg after waking him and if Itachi hadn't interfered we would have had sushi for dinner when it was Kisame's turn. The only two that were able to perform the task unscathed were Kakuzu and Tobi.

 My thoughts were interrupted when we heard shouting from the stairwell which was quickly translated that Hidan was coming. A second later the door opened and Hidan was thrown into the room with much cursing. Kakuzu appeared behind him looking just as grumpy himself.

 "We're here."

 Hidan sat up in his fluffy bunny pajamas (courtesy of Kakuzu) and shot him a death glare. "You f***ing rolled me down the stairs, Jacka**?!?"

 "Take your seats. You are already eight minutes late." I said, ending a fight that was about to begin.

 They both nodded and took their seats without another word. Konan gave me a look that meant get on with it. She had been antsy ever since she had discovered Kakashi. "Reports please." I said emotionlessly.

 "We're over budget." Kakuzu growled.

 "Anything new?" We were always over budget according to Kakuzu.