Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. All rights go to Masashi Kishimoto and Viz Media though I do claim  ownership Nami, Cora, Cain, and any other filler character I happen to add in along with the plot.

Author's Note: This story is from an idea I randomly thought up one day and since I had nothing else to write I gave it a try. I apologize for any grammatical and punctuation errors. I have to warn you that this chapter is pretty slow so bear with me. I would also like to add that this chapter is solely in Nami's POV but others might not.

__________________________________________________________________

Nami's POV

I sat on the steps outside the apartment complex I live in. Sunlight poured from in between the clouds above. Tall buildings line the street making those below fell small. A few people strode along the sidewalk doing their normal morning routines. I shivered slightly as a cool breeze blew past me. The sound of feet hitting the sidewalk behind made me jump.

"You okay?"

I turned, a smile creeping across my face. Behind me stood my neighbor Mr. Kimura. I had known him since I was nine. He wore a dark grey windbreaker that squashed his oddly colored, silver hair. It's not like he was old because he looked like he was in his late twenties, early thirties. As usual a black eye patch was over his left eye. I had never asked him why he wore it out of fear that I might offend him or if he had a empty eye socket. I internally winced at the thought. Missing body parts have always made me feel weak. Although he had a scarf that covered his mouth I could tell he had a small smile.

"Yeah. Just waiting for my ride." I said answering his question.

"Ride?" He asked slightly confused, then his eyes widened. "It's your first day of school..."

I nodded. "High school this year."

"I heard that you were going to that new high school. Dawn, was it?"

"Yeah." Dawn was a new private high school that had been established last year. Though it has gotten good reviews from the parents and students there are some nasty rumors going around about the school.

"Well I have to go. Remember to come tell me how your first day went." Mr. Kimura called over his shoulder as he started walking down the sidewalk.

"Don't worry. I won't forget. "I waved.

I glanced to the street in front of me then back to the way Mr. Kimura went. I blinked in surprise. He was gone without a trace. To have made it to the end of the block he would have had to run in dead sprint and I'm sure that I would have had heard him. I pondered the situation for a while then another thing occurred to me. He had just invited me over to his apartment. I have known him for five years and yet I had never been to it. I let out a sigh. He definitely was a strange one. I had always found him confusing and distant and yet I somehow knew that he would risk his life for me.

I looked up startled as a car stopped in right before me. The passenger window rolled down to reveal Kami AKA my ride. We had met briefly at one of my mother's book club meetings. I had always known her as notebook woman because she always carried at least three notebooks full of paper all 100% blank. I had once asked her why she had all those notebooks and why she never wrote in them. All I got for an answer was that they were for emergencies.

She was the main reason why I was going to Dawn. She just happened to be the math teacher and the principle's girlfriend, so I got in free. I hated that I got in just because I had connections. If was going to a private high school I wanted to go because I could afford it not because I was a teachers pet.

"You getting in?" Kami asked, impatiently. Her blue hair pulled back into a bun with bits falling out. I questioned myself how I knew so many people with strangely colored hair. Silver, blue, I think I remember one of my old class mates having purple hair. For all I knew I could have a teacher with hot pink highlights.