Chapter 15: Backyard Lemonade

We got home around 8:00 and despite my objections Jake insisted he help clean up my cut.

I stood in the bathroom, watching Jake riffle around my drawers in search of the first aid kit. I certainly had no idea where it was, and I was unsure we even had one.

"Aha!" he exclaimed suddenly, pulling a white box out from under the hairdryer in the very back of the cupboard. "Found it," he said, smirking at me while waving the box in front of me tauntingly.

I chuckled and rolled my eyes at him playfully.

He pushed some stuff over on the counter to make a space. He patted the counter top. "Sit down," he ordered.

"Yes sir," I replied, puffing my chest and fake saulting him.

I jumped ontop of the counter, crossing my legs and watching him open the box, searching through it with a frown on his face. "Geez Stace, where's your disinfectant?"

I shrugged. "How would I know?"

He continued riffling through the kit before sighing and dropping the box. "Where's your hydrogen peroxide?"

"Downstairs bathroom," I replied. "Why?"

He didn't respond, turning and hurrying out of the room.

My eyes widened suddenly and I hopped off the counter. "Jake!" I called, racing after him. "Why are you getting hydrogen peroxide?" I demanded.

When I got to the bathroom downstairs he was holding the bottle and was turning to come back upstairs. 

"Jake!" I warned. "I am not putting that on my cut!" I crossed my arms, staring at him defiantly.

"Why?" he asked casually. He took a step toward me and I eyed him warily.

"Because," I huffed stubbornly.

"Why, Stace?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Because," I muttered, pouting. "It stings."

"Psh," he scoffed. "You're a big girl."

My jaw dropped as he walked past me making his way back upstairs. "I am not a big girl!" I called after him.

"You better get your butt up here or I'm going to have to carry you like a little girl," he warned, his voice coming from upstairs.

I stood there, crossing my arms with a frown on my face. "You can't make me Jake Mathews!"

"Oh I would suggest otherwise," his voice taunted me, he was coming back down the stairs and my head wipped around to see him approaching me quickly.

I squealed in terror and dashed into the bathroom, fumbling to lock the door.

"Ha ha!" I called through the door when he tried to jiggle the handle. "Now what Mr. Meany head?" I taunted, smirking happily to myself.

"Well," he muttered. "I guess I'll just have to find something to pass the time..." his voice trailed off. "Oh! I think I saw some baby books somewhere around here!" his voice seemed to get further away and my heart sped up. "Maybe I could drink some chocolate milk while I look at them..."

I yanked the door open. "Don't you dar-"

I was cut off when my feet were lifted easily from the floor and I was cradled in his arms. "Gotcha," he said, smirking as he looked down at me.

My jaw dropped and I stared at him in disbelief. "You tricked me!" I accused.

"Hmm," he mused. "It seems I did." His teeth pulled into a cheshire grin and his eyes twinkled mischeviously.